4D Systems GPS-PA6B module

NXTreme

I've been looking around for a good, cheap beginners GPS module for awhile. Then, about two weeks ago, I saw the PA6B on the 4D Systems website. It is quite cheap ($30 US) and it seems fairly easy to work with. The only problem I saw with it is that it's connectors are quite small to keep it's size down, making it hard to connect to a breadboard. However, for an extra $10 US you can buy it soldered onto a breakout board. Problem solved.

My question is, does anyone else have experience with this particular GPS module? Or does anyone see any potential problems that a GPS beginner might run into? I don't need anything amazing, 1Hz update rate is all I need and it also supports USB. It consumes 37mA while tracking which, while quite a bit, is fairly standard for GPS. It also has "Jammer detection and reduction" which, if I ever build a vehicle tracker (I would use it legally of course:D), would be nice.

jusmee

I've been looking around for a good, cheap beginners GPS module for awhile. Then, about two weeks ago, I saw the PA6B on the 4D Systems website. It is quite cheap ($30 US) and it seems fairly easy to work with. The only problem I saw with it is that it's connectors are quite small to keep it's size down, making it hard to connect to a breadboard. However, for an extra $10 US you can buy it soldered onto a breakout board. Problem solved.

My question is, does anyone else have experience with this particular GPS module? Or does anyone see any potential problems that a GPS beginner might run into? I don't need anything amazing, 1Hz update rate is all I need and it also supports USB. It consumes 37mA while tracking which, while quite a bit, is fairly standard for GPS. It also has "Jammer detection and reduction" which, if I ever build a vehicle tracker (I would use it legally of course:D), would be nice.
GPS for the picaxe - yep, seriously cool

Pauldesign

I'm not being sarcastic but from my experience with GPS modules, it's not really overkill and the only feature that sounds cool to me because i haven't seen on other GPS modules is the on-board USB interface.

The 4D System GPS, lacks onboard backup (some GPS module have an onboard super cap to be used as battery to store position fix).

It also lacks the PPS feature, which you can use to accurately lock your time esp for time stamp or critical applications.

You still have to solder onto it:rolleyes:.

Need some external components, just increasing the form factor.

To conclude, it's not the easiest of easy to interface and for starters i reckon you try EM-406A (pnp) and it interfaces 100% with picaxe even without the Rxd pin connected:rolleyes:. It just need power and tx pin connected or you can just plug the Rx pin into any picaxe output pin.
It also has on-board position fix indicator. On-board short circuit protection although not mentioned on the data sheet.
It's also widely used and supported. You don't even need any tech support but shout:eek: if stuck.
It also has on-board patch antenna and very small form factor with no external component, just wires needed. Also has WAAS/EGNOS.

Compare specs/price with globalSat EM-406A GPS module before making your final choice, then you tell me which is over kill. ;)

NXTreme

Ok, thank you very much for telling me what you think of it. It's nice to know what the ups and downs of certain modules are. The one downside I did see with the EM-406A is that it is more costly ($60 US). However, by the time shipping and import duty and what all else gets factored in, the 406A will probably end up being about the same. I did ask SparkFun if they had any plans to start stocking it. No reply yet but the 406A does look easier to use, maybe I'll just get it. Thanks for your reply!

NXTreme

They do, and it's also $20 dollars cheaper! And only three dollars for shipping. Thanks for the heads up. In-case anyone wants the link, here it is. [LINK]