3Pin-Download-Connector / What happens if SerIn and Serout is mixed up

albatros

Hello,

I'm locking for a small, cheap & simple solution for a download connection:
I'm currently thinking about a 3 Pin - Connector with GND in the middle. SerIn and SerOut outside.
To keep it cheap - no special connector shall be used - just a simple 3pin-jumper.

Will I damage the chip, if
- the SerIn signal of the download cable ist connected to ther SerOut of the chip
and
- the SerOut of the download cable is connected to the SerIn of the chip ?

I searched the web and the manuals - but I couldn't find a hint for that.

Thanks in advance
albatros

P.S: I attached the schematic and an image of the connectors I'd like to use
P.S.S: Sorry for my english - I'm not a native english

3Pin_Connector.jpg3_Pin_Download_Schema.jpg

techElder

Use a 4-pin connection and block off one of the "female" connectors. That way you have polarized your plug.

Better yet, obtain a polarized plug.

manuka

albatros: Welcome! Such a cheap, very low profile & "breadboard friendly" 3 header pin programming cable has been the norm here in NZ/Australia for a good decade, & I'd recommend following Andrew's approach shown here in numerous circuits. As part of their project we'd often get older students to make them using lengths of cheap ribbon cable, with a simple tape cover (or hot melt glue) over the 3 connections.

Incorrect plug insertion is not an issue - it just doesn't program the PICAXE.

The years have rolled by (& I've moved on to other things ...), but this layout style still suits numerous "reach for a PICAXE" circuits, both for breadboard evaluation & final soldered versions. Stan.

Attachments

Hemi345

albatros: Welcome! Such a cheap, very low profile & "breadboard friendly" 3 header pin programming cable has been the norm here in NZ/Australia for a good decade, & I'd recommend following Andrew's approach shown here in numerous circuits. As part of their project we'd often get older students to make them using lengths of cheap ribbon cable, with a simple tape cover (or hot melt glue) over the 3 connections.

Incorrect plug insertion is not an issue - it just doesn't program the PICAXE.

The years have rolled by (& I've moved on to other things ...), but this layout style still suits numerous "reach for a PICAXE" circuits, both for breadboard evaluation & final soldered versions. Stan.
As Manuka stated, the 3 pin header is pretty standard when the socket isn't used. I use the pin arrangment as found on page 44 of manual 1.

Haku

When I stuck a SMD 20m2 on the back of a miniature 16x2 LCD display I put a 3-pin 2mm socket on for programming it, as well as another tiny 08m2 module for something else. with the RX-GND-TX pin arrangement, I haven't had any problems by accidentally plugging it in the wrong way round. I'm using the AXE027 cable with a DIY socket-to-2mm-pin-header adapter in this case.

AllyCat

Hi,

Yes, I also use a 3 pin header if space is tight. But I do put a resistor in series with the output (since a link is generally required anyway in stripboard constructions). Rev. Ed. used to use 180 ohms in their "Enhanced Serial Download Circuit" in Manual 1 (in case of "real" RS232 voltage levels), but I generally use rather higher.

Cheers, Alan.

westaust55

You may also wish to consider an AXE029 compatible format:

http://www.picaxe.com/docs/axe029.pdf

If you do not have the 10k and 22 k resistors on the board with the PICAXE install a 100kOhm pull-down from the SerialIn pin to 0V otherwise the program will not run when the programming circuit+cable is disconnected.

Last edited:

Goeytex

I prefer to use a right angle header on the breadboard. This reduces strain on the "cable" and makes for a neater connection. Single row headers will wobble in a breadboard so I use a double row to prevent the wobbling.

I generally insert two 3 pin straight headers into an old spare breadboard then place a single row straight header on top at a right angle and solder them together. This makes a stable connection that does not wobble in the breadboard.

Last edited:

albatros

Thanks a lot to and I'm impressed about the feedback and response time *thumbs up*
Super !
I'll got a lot of ideas now and I will check which solutions fits best to my "small" project ;-)