3m teest clips

Dippy

Yes, I have tried them.

No, they don't look like proper in-circuit programmers, they look like 3M test clips.

I don't know if Rev-Ed have considered spending lots of money making an add-on. I somehow doubt it. Have you seen the price?

But, why don't you try making something?
If they are really nifty you could make a fortune on Ebay :)

Andrew Cowan

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=500006+1002291&Ntk=gensearch_001&Ntt=3m+test+clip&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial

Go for it! At £10 per chip type (except the 28 pin), it would be a neat project, and not breaking the bank too much. (Dippy - have you seen a different price?)

I'm OK just putting a 3 pin header on each of my PCBs - I can't see the appeal (apart from the coolness factor) of using one of these. Plus there is the issue of the 10K resistor being in the wrong place (potential divider).

A

Dippy

I got mine from Farnell so vaguely remembered an 'enthusiastic' price.

I also know the average budget in this Forum, therefore the idea that anyone would pay £15 for some kind of clip-on programmer was slightly adventurous.

Maybe the PIC Or Arduino World would stand it....

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
They probably could be used as in-circuit programmers but you would have to add a PCB with electronics to use them as such. I personally cannot really see a usefulness or market when most PICAXE boards would likely have a jack socket and 10K/22K anyway.

If one wanted "in-circuit PICAXE programming without a jack on-board", fitting a 4-pin header with Serial In, Out, +V and 0V, with a 10K pull-down on Serial In would be the cheapest way. Then add a PC/AXE027 interface to 4-pin header, would need active electronics to make Serial In 0V/+V. That's the same as would need to be done to use these clips.

TAMeyer

I thought these were pricey myself as 3M is often that way. For hobby work off-brands are easily found on eBay.

Using the wrong tools can be costly too.

When the cost of blown chips or project failures begins to approach the cost of the right tool (IC clip, mini-drill press, SMD re-work station), a purchase is made.

IC Clip Advice:
Make sure you are buying correct -width-, not just pin count
Clips that fit nicely on a 40X2, won't touch a "20" or below.

...best

Terry

Andrew Cowan

I've just realised that an 8 pin clip could be used for the 8, 14 and 20 pin series.

I'm still OK with my three pin headers (SI, SO, GND), however.

A

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Yes, 8-pin could work well in such cases. Having used test clips, quality is what really counts, and hence their cost. It's a royal pain if weight of leads or probes pull them off the chip or contact becomes poor. You also lose all the benefits of automatic, correct polarisation a jack or keyed-header/plug has. Get the clip the wrong way round and it's potentially 'magic smoke time'.