#30 wire?

johndxmurphy

Can #30 wire handle the current on the Picaxe output pins? In fact, I would like to know the current capacity of #30 thru #22. Any web sites that post that info?

BeanieBots

There are loads of opinions and the answer depends on what you mean by "handle". For legislative guidelines, try here.
http://www.energy-solutions.co.uk/cable_conductor.html

As for PICAXE, we are only talking mA and in most cases a bit of "wet string" will do the job! However, depending on what you are doing, the resistance of the wire might be of concern. For example, when doing precision analogue work, the reference is the power supply, so if when your LED comes on and the power supply drops slightly due to very thin power cables, then your readings might be affected.

#30 wire and a wire-wrap tool was one of the standard interconnect methods for early computers. I've built one computer in the late '70s using wire-wrap and never had any problems with it in operation.

Chuck

moxhamj

All my picaxe prototypes are build using old recycled #30 wirewrap wire from the backplane of a DEC10. A fine use for an obsolete multi million dollar computer. Yes, #30 will be fine for inputs and outputs to a picaxe.