28x1 PWM?

stocky6409

Can anyone confirm that the 28x1 allows 4 seperate & fully independant PWM outputs? i.e you can set/change any of the 4 PWM outputs without affecting the state of the other PWM outputs?

Wasnt quite sure when reading the manual!
TIA!

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
No!
Options are:

2 separate outputs using pwmout commands
1 output pwmout, 1-4 hpwm BUT all (up to) 4 of the hpwm's will be exactly the same. The advantage is that you can 'redirect' the pwm to a different output pin that you choose.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
As I understand it, the 28X1 has only two separate PWM channels.

One of those has Enhanced PWM capabilities which allows four lines to conveniently drive a H-bridge directly, but all four lines are simultaneously controlled by the same PWM channel and are not individual PWM channels in their own right.

In "Single Mode" a PWM output can be routed to one or more of those four outputs and those selected will all output the same PWM signal. It would be possible to adjust and switch PWM rates while cycling through outputs, but PWM would not be continuous and simultaneous from all four lines.

That could be used to set four channels of analogue outputs using RC circuits, but unlikely to be usable for controlling four motor channels which needed continuous and different PWM signals to control their speed.

It is all quite complex, but the answer I think you are probably looking for is -- It is not possible to have four consecutive PWMOUT commands which would set PWM for four separate outputs independently which would all run without further program intervention.

stocky6409

Bugga! - Not what i wanted to hear :-(

OK - anyone had any experience using the Dallas DA1050 5bit PWM controllers with a Picaxe 18x?

Talk is that the command structure doesn't let it work as its just a single byte - but to me it looks the same as the commands structure used by the PCF8572 i/o expander - which does work.

Anyone got any feedback?

BobMcNobby

This wasn't what I wanted to hear about the 28x1..

I was hoping, like the 28x, you could drive 2 channels of PWM, using the same frequency, but with different mark/space ratios..

Is this true or not ?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Like the 28X the 28X1 does have two PWM channels which can be set to the same frequency with different duty rates.

Edited by - hippy on 14/06/2007 11:19:25

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
To clarify it is

1 + 1 using pwmout commands only (exactly as 28X)
1 + (1 to 4) (ie 2 to 5 outputs) using combination of pwmout and hpwm. But the (1 to 4) will all be identical pwm signals.