24lc256 EEPROM

domwild

Have bought the 28/28X/40X protoboard and this EEPROM and now need to know if I have to install two 4K7 resistors in positions R5 and R6 on the board. Manual says: " ... may need ...". I have not added anything to this board as it says: " ...add only if no pull-ups are already supplied elsewhere on the i2c bus."

Also, it seems to need 0.5mm wire to connect to the protoboard. Is this the correct size?

Thanks.

Dippy

Well, you've nearly answered your own question Dom.

So, have you got pull-up resistors elsewhere in the i2c (SCL/SDA) bus?

Basically, what its saying is: if you haven't got pullups elsewhere then you'll need them on the board.

Remember with I2C that the SDA and SCL lines will need pull-ups, whether you have one EEPROM or half a dozen of them. BUT you DON'T need pullups at every chip.

inglewoodpete

On the wire size question: 0.5mm would be the recommended size. Thinner than that could introduce unwanted resistance to the connections while thicker wires can be a bit rigid.

Common sense rather than a micrometer should be used when making connections ;o)

domwild

Thanks for the replies and sorry about the late thanks.

Have I messed something up as I have not added any pull-ups but pressed the chip in so far??

inglewoodpete

If there are no pullups the operation can be unpredictable. The connections are high impedance and the voltage on them can 'float' anywhere between ground an Vcc. The specification requires 1 pullup resistor on each lead to ensure that the idle state is 'high'.

If you were adding on an i2c device that already has the pullups on-board, then you would not add more.

Alternatively, if you had several i2c devices 'bussed' to the PICAXE, you would have only 1 pullup per lead.

domwild

Thanks once again for the help. The proto board does have a table of contents, so I can check if those pull-ups already exist. I may also be able to work out which lines are which and if there are resistors.