20m2 SPI to MAX7219??

sodeaf

Hey Guys, NEWBIE question.. I have searched around but could not find anything really on this.. Please point me in the right direction if you could.

Last night I was able to get a MAX7219 working well with a 28x2 Picaxe.. I was using the hspi clk and hspi sdo connected directly to the clk and input of the max7219.. and it works well.

The question I have is.. Does the 20m2 have these same or similar outputs? I cant seem to find info in SPI out on the 20m2 models.. There is i2C, but from what I gather it is different. This is my first project using any of these protocols.

I was able to piece together some code by searching the forum,

I much rather use the 20m2 for the end project to do size and cost.. As well I don't need all the extra pins on the 28x2..

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As well If there is alternative code you out there please point me in that direction..
(I guess my main confusion is what pins do I connect the Max7219's Clk input, and Data input to on the 20m2, and is the code very similar regarding sending the data)

Thanks again

Steve

sodeaf

Hey Guys, yeah I guess you are both right... I would just like to order some 20x2's but it seems to me that they are no longer in production? There are a couple suppliers that still seem to have them in stock, although for how long who knows. I would possibly be getting the circuit boards custom printed, and i would hate to go to that extent if the chips become obsolete very shortly. A 14M2 would even be large enough for what I need, but It would be a new learning curve regarding the code. I will play around tonight and see if it lags.. In certain part of my code I would need to check for pulse input then sent that date to display.. every 20ms.. so I need to make sure it can keep up..
I started using a 28x2 to run 8 x 7 segment displays, and for the most part it worked well. Although I cannot get the displays as bright as I would like. The Max7219 works very well in this case, and would just like to use a small picaxe for the code and the Max7219 for the displays..

Thanks Guys, I will keep you posted on how I make out. If you have any other suggestions or comments.. please feel free.. I need as much help as I can get..
I will try out that code you suggested PaulB Tonight.. Thanks
Steve

inglewoodpete

The 20X2 is very much in production. In my opinion, it packs more punch-per-pin than any other PICAXE.

I'm not sure where Canda is, do you mean Canada? Available from Tech Supplies at 3GBP + P&P or US$6 + P&P at phanderson.com

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The 20X2 is definitely in production. There are no plans to rake it out of production and that would likely only happen if there were a 20-pin replacement that was more capable.