18x project board with 08m chip??

variable

Hi guys,

Just wondering if I can program an 08m chip on a 18x project board? If so, how should I insert that into the socket since the number of pins are different.

Thanks in advance!

James

chigley

You won't be able to do it easily - the pins don't line up. For example on the 18X the serial out and serial in pins are next to each other, whereas they are opposite each other on the 08M.

I think I'm right anyway!

lbenson

Can't stick the chip in the socket, as said, but I've programmed an 08M from a 18 programming board by running the 4 needed wires from the 18 socket to a breadboard containing the 08M.

westaust55

If you want/need to reprogram the 08M frequently, consider the AXE021 proto board. They are relatively cheap.
I have one with the proto area cut off and a set of header pins for the 0V pins 0 to 4 and +5V. Can then be used just as a programmer (has the socket and resistor required) or plugged into breadboard for simple projects.

variable

can I programe the 18x chip on a breadboard by connecting the empty 18x IC sockets on the 18x project board to the bread board via jumper cables?

Regards

James

BCJKiwi

Yes but it would probably be simpler to put the 18X in a socket and move the 18x/socket combo back and forward between the breadboard and AXE021 - depends how often this would be happening.
The extra socket will suffer any damage to the pins instead of the 18x.

Alternatively, if this needs to be done a lot, 4 x 9 pin SIPS and flat ribbon cable would make a permanent jumper cable setup. 2 sips can be plugged in to the AXE021 board socket (or an 18 pin socket could be used here instead of the 2 sips) and into the breadboard either side of the chip.