18m and 18m2 I,m confused

elanman99

I have just received an some components from a UK supplier. I ordered (by phone) two 18m2 chips but as they are not marked as such I am presuming they are an older version. (Marked 16F819)

On the supplying companies website they say the part is 'PICAXE-18m' and it supersedes the PICAXE-18. The Rev Ed website only lists the 18x and 18m2 types.

What ICs do I have and how do I ensure I get the 18m2 next time I order?

Ian

lazzymonk

All the 18 modles have been superseded by the 18M2.

As for the ones you have, they are either the 18A or 18M according the to the picaxe manual.

Dippy

"What ICs do I have and how do I ensure I get the 18m2 next time I order?"

1. Manual 1 page 15 16F819 could be 18M. The 18M2 is, as you know marked "18M2".

2. Sadly, "ensure" implies 100% = no-such-thing, but written orders increase the chances of success and if they get it wrong then you have documentary evidence.
Phone lines can be bad or the person could be thick or they simply misheard you - and if their spelling is as bad as some of the Forum members then oh dear... :)

Ideally, a vendor should have a proper inventory 'Order Code' system where each item has a Product/Item/Order code reference. If you quoted the order code correctly but they have assigned the wrong chips then they are obliged to replace them.

elanman99

I am now beginning to think I was fooled by the message on the suppliers web page stating that the PICAXE-18 was obsolete and the newer 18M would be sent in its place. I just assumed that I would be getting the newest chip.

The suppliers order code is 13-0843 and only purports to be an 18M (which was new at some time anyway!)

Ian

Dippy

Rapid I assume?
http://www.rapidonline.com/1/1/7058-picaxe-chips.html

Well, it does say "18M" and not "18M2" - looks like they could do with a bit of updating. (As well as learning how to spell!)

Well, we've all boobed. Just put it in the 'lesson learnt' file ;)

I guess you could say (politely) to Rapid what you've said above and see if they'll refund, but I doubt it.
The 18Ms will come in handy at some stage, don't worry your fiver isn't entirely wasted.

Last edited:

Dippy

Spelling?
Ah, it's terrible generally speaking.
And big, long, unspaced paragraphs all written in 6-year-old-kiddy-text lower case.
I try and ignore it as I keep loosing patience. ;)

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
13-0843 is the 18M and you have therefore been sent the correct chip that matches the order code used.

The 18M2 order code at Rapid is 13-5026, although as it is a new part they may not have listed it online yet - due to volume of new parts they stock each week it takes a short while for them to process.

elanman99

I have just had this response from Rapid:-

"Further to your enquiry

We do currently have the correct pic chips in stock the 13-0843 should have listed on it PIC16F819-IP

We will shortly have the newer 18M-2 version and this will soon be listed as rapid code 13-5026 and these will be on the rapid web site in the next few days.

Please feel free to contact us for any further information."

What confused me is their web page which (at least until yeterday) states that the 18 is now replaced with the latest device the 18M but not to worry etc as the programmes will still run. I presume that the 18M replaced the 18 quite some time ago so its not really on to claim its the latest thing.

I contacted them via help, 'Livechat' and was told amongst other things, that Rapid buy the Picaxe from a number of suppliers. That surprised me too.

Ian