14M portc and dirsc commands

maitchy

Short version:
The manual says I can use dirsc with a picaxe 14M (or high portc 3) but I cannot!

I get "Error: 'let dirsc' command not supported in this mode!"

(yet dirs is okay; it is like it is checking 8/8M syntax, yet it is certainly directed to use 14M syntax).

Long version:
I have a picaxe 14M (firmware 9.B) connected and told the programming editor it is a 14M (even tried a #picaxe 14m).

Appendix C of the manual1.pdf (Version 6.0 04/2007; the one that comes up when I click on "Help" within the programming editor, which is version 5.1.5, syntax DLL 131072 if that helps), says:

Using portc pins as outputs
Any portc pin can be configured to be used as a digital output.
To convert the pin C3 to output and make it high
high portc 3
To convert the pin C3 to output and make it low
low portc 3
To convert all the pins to outputs
let dirsc = %00111111

Also in manual 2, page 94, the dirsc is for the 14M.

Yet manual 2, page 13, doesn't mention dirsc nor dirs for the 14M (does mention dirs for 8/8MM and dirsc for 28X2), and when compiling code with either dirsc or portc I get "command not supported in this mode!" errors.

Mark

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
<i>I get &quot;Error: 'let dirsc' command not supported in this mode!&quot; </i>

Double check you have got 14M and the Enhanced Compiler selected ( View-&gt;Options-&gt;Editor ), as it syntax checks without error for me with version 5.1.5

maitchy

Ah, yes the &quot;Enhanced&quot; compiler options was the problem. Thanks!

Funny it doesn't default to that if the picaxe needs it... I notice it also said error messages like &quot;PICAXE-08 doesn't...&quot; without the option - &quot;Original&quot; seems to be a &quot;pretend to be a picaxe 8 no matter what you've been told&quot; option, so seems silly to ever be used (or at least be on by default and without some warning from the editor).

maitchy

(Oops!) I shouldn't have said &quot;Original&quot; mode was the default - I must have accidentally clicked on it some time because I see &quot;reset defaults&quot; gives the enhanced mode. (Probably still a good idea for the editor to warn if it is on when a chip is being used that needs &quot;enhanced&quot;).

BeanieBots

It used to be the other way around until changed by popular demand.
The chip does not NEED the enhanced options. It is the code you write that needs it set one way or the other. Unfortunately the only option is make YOU the code writer responsible for having the correct setting.
Perhaps a blatently obvious error message such as &quot;You must enable Enhanced options to use this feature&quot; would be of benefit.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The 'original' compilers are now not developed, they are legacy - only really useful for people who wrote programs in the past using labels such as loop: etc.

We recommend people always run the software in enhanced mode, as this gives the extra commands and the simulation options.