14M debug doesn't work?

nbw

Hi all, wondering if anyone else has ever had problems with their 14m and the debug command. Mine refuses to pass any values back to the PC. Yes, I've checked the cable etc - that's fine. No problems with my 08M, 18X, 28X, 28X1, 40X, 20M I've used.

My test code:

loopy:
readadc 4,b0
debug
pause 500
goto loopy

The debug window appears, but no values get displayed - it just says 'waiting'. There is a varying 0 - 5V signal appearing at ADC4 of the 14M.

Interestingly, if I use sertxd to extract data, I get this:

sertxd (">>> ",#b0,13,10)
xx 145
xx 231
xx 191

where xx is some weird ascii character like a German umlaut over an e. Bizarre. If you change the >>> to say CCC,you might get a different weird character again. I have the baud set at 4800, which displays everything (apart from this) nicely, including the CR and LF.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Still looks like a fault in your hardware / cable / power supply somewhere. Our bet would be a dodgy 0V connection between download socket and chip.

If you are transmitting corrupt data with sertxd then you will probably also be transmitting corrupt data with debug. Hence the computer and chip can't synchronize and hence no debug data is displayed.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
If you've got the baud rate / frequency matched then it looks like a hardware error as Technical suggests. I just ran your code on a 14M and it worked perfectly for me.

nbw

That is really odd. I swapped the 14M out for a 20M (they're on a breadboard), and the 20M happily sent values back via debug. I will re-check the 0V-download line though - thinking about it (at work now) it could be the tiniest bit of dirt on the 14m leg, maybe not the best breadboard connection.... :)