08M to drive pressure control solenoid?

wapo54001

I just came across some references to "mixture control solenoids" and am intrigued. Everything I could find addressed automotive applications and the solenoids used there are far too big for my needs.

I have a requirement to slightly adjust air pressure for a project and, originally, I was planning to try to use a servo-driven needle valve, but am now wondering if this is a viable alternative that is mechanically more simple than the needle valve solution.

I am looking for the smallest possible solenoid valve that will control no more than 0~15psi with minute airflow. I would use an 08M to pwm the solenoid to control pressure on the downstream side. My reading suggests that the pwm rate for this sort of control in an automobile is only about 10Hz.

Has anyone tried this sort of control, using a picaxe to take a control signal and translate it into appropriate duty cycle to modulate a solenoid?

RobertN

Take a look at Clippard portional valves, they are small although pricy at US $50+. They can be current or PWM driven, use feed back for best stability.
Clippard and others have many small on-off 2 and 3 way valves.

Andrew Cowan

make sure the solenoid you select can take PWM - some of the solenoids I have state that they must not be used for PWM, as this will wear them out quickly.

A

wapo54001

Yes, I'm doing that. The best I've found so far are made by Lee, good for 250,000,000 operations, which I figure is better than 6000 hours at 10Hz.

rmeldo

Norgren are one of the biggest suppliers of compressed air gear to the automotive business.

Probably all shapes and sizes are covered.

I hope it helps