08M stopped loading - error?

olden

I've been shown the very basics by Rick Harris so I'm right at the beginning.
I've started a second program after about 6 tests, i.e. a different program each time. Then I got the error message. I checked all the soldered connections, battery, wires on breadboard etc. I don't know what to do now, why has it stopped loading all of a sudden?http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/images/smilies/confused.gif
:confused:

marcos.placona

It might well be because you simply fried your picaxe (very difficult, but happens sometimes).

You can also check your batteries/power source. Sometimes it just won't work with a set of batteries but will with a new set of batteries.

I suppose you might be using the standard 3xAA batteries right?

It'd be very helpful if you could furnish us with some more details, and maybe a picture of your circuit.

olden

Some of the circuits I've practiced with is as follows:
1/
start:
for b1=1 to 5
high 2
wait 1
low 2
wait 1
next b1

One of the simple circuits like this so I could see what was going on. Any circuit that I used I checked with were o.k. The last circuit used I played and altered and everything was fine, then that is when it would not load i.e. error message, battery, power etc I checked. Battery measured at 4.76 V, after that I was lost and didn't know where to go next. duracell plus

marcos.placona

Ok, hang on.. Are we talking here about the circuit or the code? I mean, if you try to program the picaxe with a high 1, will it work, or will it give the error saying your picaxe might need to re-start, or is not powered bla bla bla?

Can you please be more specific?

papaof2

If the PICAXE is in a tight loop, it may not respond to the download. Disconnect the power from the PICAXE, then start the download and reconnect power when the status window pops up.

John

olden

The circuits & codes are OK I've also tried new batteries. After adding a new program I would let it 'run'. In a second or 2 the blue loading goes from left to right, it does not take long because the program is so small, about 3-5 seconds & saying the load was successful.
It happened as usual when I tried an earlier program, pressed 'run', program bar came up but the blue bar did not appear & 4-5 seconds later the error came up with usual possibilities; hardware not connected, no power, etc,etc.

Michael 2727

So many variables, so many possible causes, a million answers and only 1 will be correct.
Help us narrow down the problem.

PC or Laptop ?
Up to date Program Editor software and CONFIGURED CORRECTLY for the chip being used.
Download cable - USB or COM (D-9) or both or homemade dodgy job ?
Download Socket - Stereo 3.5mm or 3 header pins or something else ?
PC Board - Rev ED type (which one), other type, home made ?
Battery/Supply used - Cells or Reg-DC Supply ? ( 3 X fresh AAA rarely give problems )
Checked the circuit for correct comopnents/orientation, (they all say YES lmao)
Checked the circuit board for stray solder bridging/shorts etc. (they all say YES, YES also lmao)
Try a HARD RESET = With the power to the Picaxe OFF, hit the Program "Run" button
wait till the progress window appears then power ON the Picaxe.
(this will allow programming even when a programmed chip is very busy doing something
and may miss a "new download" command, as papaof2 suggested above)

If it worked once, chances are it will again, but something has changed since the
last successful download.
It is quite difficult to fry a Picaxe in most cases, although 12V will usually do it fast.
You quite often get a warning eg: overheating/smoke first if you do something really dumb.

The more you can tell us the faster problem will get solved.

moxhamj

Have you got another chip? Borrow one from Rick Harris if you have to!

The problem I get most frequently is the one papaof2 mentioned. This is called a hard reset. It depends on what sort of code you use, but I get about 1 in 10 downloads needing a hard reset.

olden

Thanks everyone for your input, I think I've found the problem. I went through everything again from the start. the first thing I did was clear the memory & typed the program - it worked. I tried programing 3 times but cleared the memory first, no problems. It doesn't mention this in the book, so I'll keep clearing the memory each time and see how it goes. http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/images/icons/icon14.gif
Thumbs up

inglewoodpete

That is most unusual. I have been using the 08M for several years and have never had to clear the memory before programming it.

Are you using the latest version of the Programming Editor? I think it is v5.2.0