08m problems

Berny

I purchased the 08m starter kit and wired it up. I am using my regulated supply set at 5 volts and switched to monitor amps. When I attach the board to my PC and turn on the 5 volt supply the amp meter jumps to well over 1 amp. This is without the picaxe in place. Is this normal?:confused:
I have checked the output from the PC plugged into the connector but without the 5 volt supply on and am reading -10.80 volts on pin2 of the ic socket.

Last edited:

BCJKiwi

1. The current should be virtually 0 with no chip
2. The voltage on Leg 1 (serial in) will depend on what the PC is putting out. If you have a regular serial cable (not the USB cable) and are doing the tests as per REV-Ed description then those voltages are in the right range BUT should only appear while the PC is actually sending.

Perhaps you could repost on the main forum and include a photograpgh of the top and bottom of the board.

BeanieBots

Also, if your "regulated supply" has a current setting, set it to about 10mA so that no damage can be done if/when the chip is in circuit.
Only turn it up once correct opperation has been verified.

Andrew Cowan

Check the resistance between +V and 0V (with no PIC, and no serial cable).

Is it under 1 ohm?

Thought so - you've got a short somewhere.

A

Berny

08m problem solved

Thanks for the replies. I checked and double checked the board and the connections visually and with an ohm meter and did not find any problem. I remebered reading something about a "common" ground problem so I ditched by regulated supply and got one of my RC batteries hooked it up and everything now works. I'm a happy camper:)