08M problems

bobbyblank

Hello. I am haveing trouble hooking up a Sharp GP2D12 IR unit to my picaxe
08M. I am able to download into the picaxe with the sensors power disconected, but as soon as i hook up power to it again, i am unable to download. I know the sensor works because if i download a program and then plug the sensor back in to a ADC, i get values. but i cannot download to my pic when its hooked up. I have the analog signal going to ACD2. Any help would be great. Thanks.

bobby

BeanieBots

Having used that sensor frequently myself and never having experienced the problem you describe, it must something strange with your circuit.
Please post a diagram or describe it in detail.
What are you using for power?
Are the PICAXE & sensor using the same or seperate power?
ANYTHING else in your circuit?

bobbyblank

Having used that sensor frequently myself and never having experienced the problem you describe, it must something strange with your circuit.
Please post a diagram or describe it in detail.
What are you using for power?
Are the PICAXE & sensor using the same or seperate power?
ANYTHING else in your circuit?

dont have time to draw a schematic as im headed to work, buy its just a standard 08m download circut on a breadboard. nothing else hooked up, just pic and sensor. Power is 4.6v, both sensor and IC are running on the same power and use a common ground. The sensors ground and power are hooked up accordingly and i have the signal wire hooked up to in2/ADC2 on my chip. Thats about it.

bobbyblank

Check for faults then. It will be something very silly.
Probably a dry-joint or solder-bridge.
Silly is correct lol. Its breadboarded. just chip and sensor. I dont understand whats going wrong lol. Ive used the sensor on another robot, so i know its good. Perhaps drawing to much power and robbing the chip so it cannot download??? First picaxe i have used, so im not familar with them.

BeanieBots

The sensor won't rob the PICAXE of power.
Measure your power voltage with and without the sensor. There should be no difference.
How are you connecting to the PC?
If it's the PCB version of the download socket, then it is probably not making contact with the breadboard. This is a common problem and there is special version for use with breadboards.