YEY! 18M2 comming soon.

boriz

Grapevine says new M2 series of Picaxe in the pipeline. 18M2 coming early 2010.

Hey Technical, what’s the specs for the M2 range? (or is it a secret?)

Andrew Cowan

Ability to walk, perhaps? With all those legs, it should be pretty 'all terrain'. Ideal for minature, low cost robots :).

A

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Please note the attached is pre-release info, subject to change.

No confirmed release date in 2010 yet because it is a new part. In fact it is a custom part factory made by Microchip for Revolution, so yes Stan, it will be laser engraved at the factory with the full 'PICAXE-18M2' name rather than a PIC number. The M2 series will be based on the new 16F182x architecture.

Attachments

manuka

Aha-engraved labels = a marketing & educational thumbs up! I was holding out for a single AA powered 08M2, but will instead consider my life's work hence done, & after 7 years of PICAXE lobbying may pass the baton. Dippy lad- over to you...

This 18M2 seems based on the new 32MHz, 1.8V-5.5V supply, & greater prog. memory 16F1827
GASP!- Rev. Ed's indicative 18M2 edn. price just £1.30 (& thus < half that of the venerable 18X)

Attachments

Last edited:

MartinM57

1800 lines at 32 Mhz including 4 "parallel multi-tasking" threads (very interested in that), elapsed time measurement and all with a free of charge development environment...for £1.30 (OK - £2.00 or so in hobbyist quantity maybe)

Typo or an absolutely killer chip?

Last edited:

manuka

As MicroChip's 5000 up raw price is only ~one $US, this certainly equates to just over a UK pound. Of course government orders may move the decimal point significantly to the right...

Rickharris

Ah, the speculation begins! PLEASE PLEASE lets not have a sucession of threads asking when it will be available this time :)

Personally I appreciate REV Eds giving advance notice, and it is, perhaps, a measure of the "esteem" in which this forum is held that they do so.

BUT, wishing for Christmas won't make it come any faster you know children! :)

Darn, now I have to amend my wish list to Santa again!

Dave E

Can't wait.
DAC, multitasking.....
All this new stuff to learn about and use. :D

Dave E

You KNOW the "when" question will be asked. It is soooo much fun. The speculation, antisipation and ideas for uses. WHEN is just the code word for creative venting.

Dippy

"PLEASE PLEASE lets not have a sucession of threads asking when it will be available this time"

Ho Ho Ho Ho. Oh Rick. Ho haha hee hee.

I can see it now..

"It was meant to released last night. Where is it? I want it now."
"I have built 8000 PCBs to take it, where is it?"
"When is it coming out?"
"It was promised in 2010. It's now January the 2nd and it's still not available"
"Can I directly connect it to the Mains?"

Andrew Cowan

Don't forget: Can I send all my old 18s back for a free upgrade?

Nice work Rev-Ed - looking forward to their release! Please give us details of the multitasking feature ASAP.

A

If you want a beta tester.... :) ...Don't worry - I know that's what hippy is for.

Last edited:

fernando_g

Boy; I'm impressed!
Let me correct that...I'm REALLY IMPRESSED!

About the only thing missing here is floating point math!

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
On "when" ... the same applies as it did with the 20X2; Microchip's own schedules will affect ours. We'll keep people updated as best we can.

On "multi-tasking" ... should be absolutely briliant for many programs but it won't be a universal panacea. Things like waiting for SERIN while waiting for INFRAIN and running a COUNT of pulses almost certainly won't be possible because it will still have a single processor core which can only do one thing at once. For parallel bit-banging programs ( traffic light controllers, robots etc ), watchdogs and using non-blocking hardware it should be superb. We will of course aim to make it as useful and usable as possible.

BeanieBots

It's started already.
Sorry to dissapoint you tiscando, but it's only a single core.

@Rick.
Don't fret, that's why we men have these processors. To do the other tasks for us.
Besides, what's so clever about hoovering up small components and nagging at the same time anyway?

Last edited:

AndyGadget

Pin 1 looks interesting . . . DAC.

Are we looking at 8, 10 or 12 bits here?
0V to rail, or accurately referenced??

Anyone for a one-chip complex waveform generator?

MartinM57

Pin 1 looks interesting . . . DAC.

Are we looking at 8, 10 or 12 bits here?
0V to rail, or accurately referenced??

Anyone for a one-chip complex waveform generator?
Worth looking at the datasheet for the 16F1827 as identified by Manuka - I think you'll find it's 32 levels i.e. 5 bits

Tricky Dicky

The goodies do not stop there

The Picaxe 18M2 specs. were handed out as part of a pack including the Picaxe Newsletter Q4 2009 at the D&T exhibition at the NEC. For the uninitiated thats a trade show for D&T teachers and others involved in education.

Check out the attachment about download leads and the new AXE028 and AXE028Z. The new TVR010 remote control also looks a lot more handier and if I am not mistaken, cheaper than the old one.

Is it not time these newsletters were published on this forum too.

BTW Happy 10th Birthday to the PICAXE range.

Richard

Attachments

Andrew Cowan

Axe028:
AXEO28 EASY USB CABLE
A driverless instant plug'n'play USB cable
primarily designed for school Windows
networks where USB drivers are not
easily installed. PCB format with
replaceable cables and 5V breakout.

5V breakout from the USB port? A great feature - Rev-ed, when can we place our orders?

A

Richard - what's this about a new IR remote? Edit: Found it :)

Last edited:

MurrayJ

Can anyone tell me why it is not called an 18X2 ? It seems to have similar features of an "X" picaxe so why the "M" naming.

womai

This looks like an amazing product for a great price. I'm keen to try out the multitasking features (Propeller light? :) no - don't worry, I understand the difference between multitasking on a single core processor vs. a multicore processor; but if well designed in the firmware and intuitively implemented in the Basic language it should be a great help in many circumstances, e.g. robotics, or doing something in the background while waiting on user input at the same time.

BeanieBots

I agree, the multitasking aspect is something to look forward to.
It will be interesting to see how/what issues there will be regarding shared hardware such as internal timers when required together. Not sure how one thread could even know that another is using a particular timer. A problem similar to global variables where it's down to the programmer to keep track.

I'd also be interested in an answer to MurrayJ's question.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I'm not sure what the PICAXE Naming Department's official take on the "M2" branding is but for me it fits nicely within the evolutionary tree of "M" parts which are familiar to students and educators. For some, the M2 will feel more like natural growth than a sudden jump to a 'different and potentially scary' X2 part. The M2's have the multi-tasking addition, more memory with engraved marking ( so lots of M's there ). On the technical front, the X2 family is based on the 18F and the M2 will be based on the 16F though I doubt that will be forever carved into stone.

westaust55

AXE028

Axe028:
AXEO28 EASY USB CABLE
A driverless instant plug'n'play USB cable​

That driverless feature should make it a boon.
A good proportion of those "I can't get my program to download" type questions might 'evaporate'.

MFB

I was very pleased to see Hippy write “We will of course aim to make it as useful and usable as possible” Could this mean REV-ED plan to produce adequate support material? The more powerful the PICAXE range becomes, the more help will be needed to use them effectively (just look at all the recent post about using interrupts).

boriz

“adequate support material” – I say old man. That’s jolly unnecessary.

Just about everything I have learned about Picaxe came straight from the FREE manuals and from ‘trying stuff out’. Aside from a basic understanding of digital electronics, that’s all anyone should need. Sure, some of it needs a little clarification (See BUTTON command), but most of the questions asked on this forum could be answered by closer examination of the FREE manuals and examples.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I was very pleased to see Hippy write &#8220;We will of course aim to make it as useful and usable as possible&#8221; Could this mean REV-ED plan to produce adequate support material? The more powerful the PICAXE range becomes, the more help will be needed to use them effectively (just look at all the recent post about using interrupts).
I did mean primarily in the sense that it will allow multi-tasking to function as best it can in terms of programmability, function and inter-task operability ( kerr-ching on the buzz-word bingo front ), but that would include other support material such as documentation and examples.

What is adequate support - or more importantly inadequate support - is always a contentious issue with no definitive answer. Some things are fairly complicated and require a level of skill and experience, but often don't require much by way of explanation when someone is able to work at such levels.

The main issues arise with those who have minimal experience trying to use that which is by its nature complicated. Sometimes it seems to me a bit like asking for a Janet and John or Ladybird book which covers space flight for the complete novice which provides enough to allow them to command an actual shuttle mission.

Dippy

Oh hippy, we love you.

You are the KING of buzzwordification, analogisation and abstractivisation in any situation :)

You have a future in politics.

I think what MFB means (as if you hadn't guessed ;) ) is that for total newbies a few more worked examples and piccies in the Manual 2 would be beneficial. Did you ever see the Stamp Manuals from 10 year ago? No? Check out the Stamp editor Help files.
Make it better-than-Stamp and you will make a lot of newbies happy.
(This obviously only be of any help to those that can - or can be bothered to - read of course. Similarly we know it won't happen).

kranenborg

I am very pleasantly surprised by the fact that the 18X will have a worthy, pin-compatible successor and I will for that reason definitely come to use it

One question just for curiosity's sake: will the high-speed hardware serial option use some interrupt-driven scratchpad background receive memory facility similar to the way implemented in the X1 and X2?

Best regards,
Jurjen

Wrenow

Perhaps the M relates to "Mmm !"

MMMMM - Music? The M parts support Play, while the old 18x does not. Some of the X1s and X2s do, though, it appears - see p.130 of Manual 2.

Going to be interesting to see how the mulitasking is handled. Might help eliminate some of the servo/serial issues if different timers are in effect I am guessing. DAC also sounds very interesting (be nice if 'twere more than 5-bit resolution....., but we takes what we can gets, and are jolly well thankful for it).

Thanks for the heads-up guys.

Cheers,

Wreno

nbw

It sounds like a really good chip with some new goodies, looking forward to giving one a go! Good job Rev-Ed et al.