ZigBee says No Response

Cool1Net6

Good Afternoon. I will try to make this as clear and a brief as I can.

I have 2 (two) XBee AXE210 Connect boards with 2 (two) XBee modules, 1 (one) PICAXE 18X microcontroller and 1 (one) SP3232EUCP (MAX3232CPE equivalent) chip. I am following the "PICAXE AND XBEE TUTORIAL" to program both ZigBee modules to the same baud rate, and then continuing on to test 1: the ping test.

I have configured both boards as required in the guide yet every time I try to "Read Version..." or do a "Factory Reset..." it says No Response! I tried to set different baud rates and got No Response!

I tried using the newest version of X-CTU and I got Unable to communicate with modem. Same thing with different baud rates, from 1200 to 230400.

I tried using X-CTU 4.9.8, again with different baud rates and I got Unable to communicate with modem. I have tried both AXE210 boards and both XBee modules, with the same error, either No Response! or Unable to communicate with modem.

On the bright side, I am able to easily program a PICAXE 18X microcontroller, so I do not think my USB -> Serial cable is suspect.

I searched this forum and tried the tricks found here such as a stronger stable power source and nothing seems to work. Is there anything that I am missing? What seems to be wrong with my setup?

Thanks.

-Cool-

Links To Exact Hardware:
XBee 1mW Chip Antenna
PICAXE 18 Pin Connect Kit

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The latest X-CTU software will not work with the AXE210 as it requires additional handshaking serial signals not available on the PICAXE cable.

However you can change baud rates etc by writing a program to the PICAXE and letting that update the XBee.