writing to st7066 LCD controller

I am trying to use an 8X1 LCD display with a PIXAXE 40X1. I have the initializing program writen but I don't know how to start to display anything. The onboard controller is a ST7066 (or equivalent)

westaust55

interfacing ST7066 type LCD to 40X1

Some further information will be useful in anyone giving you an answer.

Questions include:

1. Do you have the datasheet for the ST7066 LCD module.

2.Are you using the LCD in parallel 8-bit data, parallel 4-bit data comms or do you have a serial interface card to the LCD module?

3. If in parallel 4-bit mode, is it wired generally as per PICAXE manual section 3 page 34/35?
I say generally as per the diagram on those pages because, if you do a search on this forum you will find past reference that the data lines between the PICAXE and LCD module for bits 4, 5, 6 and 7 are back-to-front in the Rev Ed documents.

4. have you looked at Hippys “happy hippy website ? at http://www.hippy.freeserve.co.uk/picaxe.htm
Have a look at the LCD interfacing sections (see list of topics towards the bottom left of main page (scroll well down). There are two sections listed there for LCD interfacing.

5. Once you have digested that information, upload you schematic and program code if there are still problems and people will be more likely to give you more guidance.

marcos.placona

I am trying to use an 8X1 LCD display with a PIXAXE 40X1. I have the initializing program writen but I don't know how to start to display anything. The onboard controller is a ST7066 (or equivalent)
If it's compatible with ST7036 (not sure) I can give you all the code and a very thorough knowledge I've acquired on that. Just let me know if you want it.

Cheers