Who actually uses flowcharts on here?

retepsnikrep

Looking at all the regular contributors on here, can you tell me who actually uses the flowcharts programming option in the editor?

Is there ever likely to be an edition (smaller) of the editor without the flowchart stuff?

Anyone any idea how big it would be without flowcharts?

Just wondering ;)

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Most PICAXE Basic langage programmers probably don't use the Flowchart Tool though they may use flowcharts and similar in program design. The Flowchart Tool is often used by students and in schools where teaching staff are usually the first line of help so we won't see many postings relating to its use or coding with flowcharts.

Because of its educational use I very much doubt there will be a version created without it and I doubt there'd be much of a decrease in size if it wasn't included.

AXEpad doesn't have any Flowchart Tool built-in so that is a viable alternative though we recommend Programming Editor use for Windows.

slurp

While I program in basic I use the flowcharts for some quick and simple programs. The flow charts can help me get my thoughts in order, why bother with the code when you've got something to click and go :)

regards,
colin

BeanieBots

I sketch out with pen & paper using flow diagrams.
Assign a few labels and variables in pencil
then straight to writing code in basic.

Only if the final project is for someone else will I put any further effort into the flow diagram and then it's usually done in visio more for presentation reasons than as any aid to program construct.

Rickharris

If the programme is anything above trivial I will sketch a flowchart outline.

I used to teach my students oto use flow charts as a way to get their ideas in order BUT write the programme using the commands.

Flow charting has it's place.

Gypsy

My children and their friends found the Flow Charts much easier to understand when first using a Picaxe for a school project. It makes programming a microprocessor far more accessible for a complete beginner, for whom Basic is just another complication on top of getting to grips with the electronics. Once started, they soon migrate to Basic, but you have to get them started in the first place.

Brietech

I usually just sit down and start typing, but then again, that may be why I'm such a terrible programmer =)