What about a U3 version?

U3 is a new technology which allows you to run special programs entirely from a U3 USB device. see www.U3.com <A href='http://www.u3.com' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a> this would be useful as it allows users of the PICAXE programming editor to use it where they are not allowed to install it (eg. schools).

Edited by - jsimpson001 on 21/02/2007 19:52:40

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but if schools won't allow the Programming Editor to e installed, why would they let a program on a U3 device execute ?

Beyond U3 specifying that an App should leave a host PC as it found it when it finishes, there's no guarantee it will, or isn't malicious.

Maybe I'm missing something but this seems to be marketing hype more than anything, not really much different from being able to run an application direct from CD without having to install anything with a fancy AutoRun launcher.

They dont have much control over whether the U3 device executes, the only thing they can do is password protect new device installation.

Dippy

That is blooming clever.
But it would only be applicable in this case if the PICAXE editor were on 'U3 Central'.. if understood the video demo.

Personally, I'd approach your school/college IT person and get permission to install PICAXE Editor properly. I would have thought a proper teacher would be receptive, espcially if it were a legitimate project.

If I was a school/college/large employer I'd be very unhappy about people sticking this sort of thing up my PCs - especially as, given a little time, some smarty will hack and find out how to install naughty stuff on the U3. In fact I'd be petty unhappy about dozens of half-wits spending all day playing games too.

A great idea - but,sadly, it opens another avenue for abuse.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I also researched U3, because it is an interesting idea. It seems to do some clever stuff with partitioning to create what is in effect a CD drive and CD-RW drive on USB and hides what's going on from the end-user, but does basically use AutoRun facilities as on Setup CD's etc.

That's where the big security risk is which could be its Achilles heal. If the device is plugged into an infected PC which is targeting U3 devices, malware can be installed on the U3 without the owner being aware, and that will then get passed on to their home PC and every PC the U3 is plugged into, and then to everyone else's U3 device used with the now infected PC's. It's the same nightmare as mail readers auto-running viral executable attachments.

U3 say this is no worse than with a normal USB device and they do have a point, although a U3 device seems to provide a darker corner to hide malware in.

Maybe there is more to protect the U3 from malware but 'security by obscurity' is a weak defence. It's a good idea but seems fundamentally flawed for 'public use'.

Looking at the U3 Download Centre, it looks like a product listing directory, with downloads hosted at developer's site.