Web site background

Jeremy Leach

Don't really know where to post this one.

It might just be me, but I'd prefer the site to have a 'non-white' background. Like many people I spend a long time in front of PCs and I actually modify windows standard colours to try to reduce the intensity of the screen (thinking that in a few years there will be stats published on the number of burnt-out retinas due to colour settings).

Trouble is, there's no way (I know of) of forcing web page colours to change. So I was just wondering if your backgrounds could be muted a little ? As long as it's a general consensus.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I use Windows with a white-on-black scheme for readability - also stops people using my PC because they just sit there confused and can't type !

Both MS IE and Firefox have options to use System Colours and override whatever the website thinks everyone likes ( pale blue on bright yellow etc ), or to set forced colours. It's not always perfect, and can look a bit odd at first, especially with GIF's which no longer blend with the chosen background colour.

Have a play with menu 'Tools/Options/Content/Colour' in Firefox or 'Tools/options/General/Colours' in MS IE 6.

Jeremy Leach

Thanks Hippy, didn't know that, but I don't really want to force the change on all websites / pages I look at. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the next website uplift.