Veroboard/Stripboard layout tool

womai

I know this came up in the past when discussing PCB software, but I can't seem to find the correct thread: In your opinion, what's the best freeware tool to do veroboard/stripboard layout? (should be graphically appealing because I want to use it for publication on the web).

steska

I know this came up in the past when discussing PCB software, but I can't seem to find the correct thread: In your opinion, what's the best freeware tool to do veroboard/stripboard layout? (should be graphically appealing because I want to use it for publication on the web).
There’s Lochaster at http://www.abacom-online.de/html/lochmaster.html, don’t know if freeware
Another,a freeware I knew wasn’t available for years now.
I’m using a free v. of Eagle, can be configured for veroboard Auto-Routing but have never bothered.
Had the config. data somethere but most probably lost after the last PC upgrade.

found http://veecad.com/

Attachments

Last edited:

womai

Thanks for the tips. Alas, Lochmaster is not Freeware.

I also found Stripboard Magic, but found it too restrictive and the user interface horrible.

Also I should clarify, I need something that works with rather arbitrary protoboard layouts (i.e. not just standard stripboard), similar to the one shown below.

womai

Thanks for the link for DIY Layout Creator. Looks useful, although unfortunately very restricted set of components, and you can't create your own components. But it might work for what I want to do.

BeanieBots

Unfortunately I can't remember where I found the values and no longer have the software, but I did once have instructions on how to force EAGLE to produce a stripboard layout. It's just a question of putting the correct "costs" on all the vias and direction changes etc.
Might be worth having a browse around the EAGLE forums. It's free and did a very good job.

BCJKiwi

It seems there are three approaches to this task;

1 Use your regular full curcuit design/PCB layout tools - DipTrace, Eagle, Express etc etc and either set up templates or simply build wide tracks on the bottom and use the tracks on the top as the links. Set the grid and snap to 0.1"

2. Pay money for something like lochmaster, Veecad, Stripboard designer, etc. It seems unless you pay, components are minimal and you may not be able to create your own. Appearance of the board is an issue also with lochmaster giving a pictorial representation of the components - not just a pattern.

3. Freebies - simplest/easiest I've found so far is a program called VeroDes. This is very basic but allows full component design and seems to do all the things that are needed to simply document a vero(strip)board circuit. It does not have a circuit designer - just allows the board and components to be drawn up. Program is fairly basic but seems to work OK with a 128 x 128 hole maximum.

Last edited:

Mycroft2152

I prefer Veecad, since you can draw the schematic in DIPTRACE and import the netlist into Veecad to layout the pcb. Veecad also has an autorouting feature.

Myc

womai

Again, thanks for all the hints. I was aware I could do the protoboard trace layout in any "real" layout tool - have been using ExpressPCB for a few years and now just getting my feet wet with Diptrace (which also means, I'm not considering using Eagle - tried it and didn't like the GUI at all. Plus if I want the schematic, layout and autorouter then the full version is twice as much as Diptrace).

But what I am looking for is something that gives a bit more graphical presentation of a protoboard circuit, i.e. with component symbols that look at least similar to the real thing. No real need for a circuit (schematic) editor, as I will just use it to document a protoboard I am about to make in real. I am working on a new open source design (whoever knows which one I did recently is free to make a guess what this one will be :) and want to be able to document the layout for publication on my website. Lochmaster is closest to what I would like but I'm not sure I want to spend money on it, given that my design will be free.

Wolfgang