USB

sooner51

I have a USB/serial (I think) cable that is used for transferring information from a glucose monitor. The end connector looks like it is for serial transfer. Does anyone have any knowledge as to whether this might work with the picaxe system. I assume that I would need to install the picaxe USB driver. However, I would not want to screw up the the glucose meter communication software. Thanks.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
If the other software is already working there is no need for installing another driver.

Use Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager 'Port(COM & LPT)' to see if it is listed as a COM port.

If yes you can use it for the Programming Editor if it is a compatible type (FTDI or Prolific)

sooner51

USB Thanks

If the other software is already working there is no need for installing another driver.

Use Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager 'Port(COM & LPT)' to see if it is listed as a COM port.

If yes you can use it for the Programming Editor if it is a compatible type (FTDI or Prolific)
Thanks. I find that there is a USB driver assigned to port 0. Would you venture as to which portions of the male connecting plug are assigned to TX (input to the picaxe), RX (picaxe to computer) and ground? I understand that there are different conventions in use. I have a serial connector (not the USB one) that is wired "Tip", "Mid-Band" and "Sleeve", respectively, for the functions in the order listed, above. Also, are the 10k and 22k resistors, as listed in the manual for serial connectors, appropropriate?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Windows does not use COM0. It must be 1-255!
The pinout of the cable, with resistors for the download circuit, is all explained in part 1 of the PICAXE manual - see the USB and serial download circuit pages.

sooner51

USB, once more

Windows does not use COM0. It must be 1-255!
The pinout of the cable, with resistors for the download circuit, is all explained in part 1 of the PICAXE manual - see the USB and serial download circuit pages.
I don't want to belabor the isssue. This reply is just in case other users may have uncertainties regarding the USB port.

Just so you will understand my dilemma, I had read Section 1 – 5, “At a Glance-Download Circuit”, which shows a male plug with numbers 1,2,3 but does not match these numbers with anything, nor, does Section 1-30 “USB Download Circuit”, or Section 1-32, “Enhanced Download Circuit”. However, upon closer inspection, I find that Section 1-31, “Serial Download Circuit”, does identify (I believe, although I am not certain): 1 = output from picaxe = sleeve, 2 = input to picaxe=mid-band, 3 = ground = tip. This happens to be quite different than my 9-pin, serial-to-male connector, for which the ground is the sleeve - all of which goes to show, “different strokes for different folks”. So, I will trust the diagram in Section 1-31, even though I feel tentative about it, since all of my experience with audio equipment has the sleeve at ground potential.

With regard to Windows XP, System information, “hardware”: Under “Universal Serial Bus Controllers”, it identifies the USB as “Location 0”. However, under, “Ports”, the USB serial port is identified as, “Com 6”. Most of my USB devices operate seamlessly. However, I do have one that won’t work unless I plug, “Com 6”, into its system. I assume that picaxe will be similarly demanding.

BCJKiwi

USB devices will usually find the appropriate device regardless of which USB port it is plugged into (there are exceptions).

With serial (which is what you are dealing with here as the USB cable described is a USB to Serial adapter) the program must address the correct com port.

For an 'improved' pin out diagram see;
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10900 post #3

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I find that Section 1-31, “Serial Download Circuit”, does identify (I believe, although I am not certain): 1 = output from picaxe = sleeve, 2 = input to picaxe=mid-band, 3 = ground = tip.
That is correct for a compatible 3.5mm jack socket/plug for a Rev-Ed download cable.

This happens to be quite different than my 9-pin, serial-to-male connector, for which the ground is the sleeve
0V on a 9-way connector is on pin 5. This pin must always be used as 0V, not the shell of the 9-way connector.

So, I will trust the diagram in Section 1-31, even though I feel tentative about it, since all of my experience with audio equipment has the sleeve at ground potential.
The sleeve of the Rev-Ed 3.5mm download connection is not at ground potential. This is not an audio interface.

Most of my USB devices operate seamlessly. However, I do have one that won’t work unless I plug, “Com 6”, into its system. I assume that picaxe will be similarly demanding.
The PICAXE software is not restricted to always using a particular COM port. If your system is configured to always create your USB-to-serial port as COM6 then that is what has to be used.

westaust55

USE cables - serial end connection

I don't want to belabor the isssue. This reply is just in case other users may have uncertainties regarding the USB port.

Just so you will understand my dilemma, I had read Section 1 – 5, “At a Glance-Download Circuit”, which shows a male plug with numbers 1,2,3 but does not match these numbers with anything,
If you were to download the more recent PICAXE manuals,
either the old Rev 6.6 (from Nov 2008) or the latest Rev 6.7 have a look at page 7 and the diagrams are a lot better than in the past in terms of defining which conenction is for what purpose.