URGENT!! help needed

rhysgj123

using a pic 08 and l293d chips im trying 2 build a vehicle to go forward 2 meters, then stop, then reverse for 3 meters at twice the speed.also it has to be controlled by infra red.could anyone help with the coding and give a schematic please.im desperate

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

When you say you are "desperate", how much of the project have you attempted or completed, how far have you got, what works, what are you up against the wall with, and what previous PICAXE, electronics and robot vehicle experience do you have ?

There is quite a lot to that project but it can all be broken down into smaller parts, all of which can be managed individually and brought together as a whole.

How urgent is your requirement ? Is it a school project or coursework ?

BeanieBots

Also, you give very specific distances and then say it must be controlled by IR.
What needs to be controlled by IR? The distance?, the speed?, both?
Maybe direction?

Dippy

Which book Rhys?
Have you quadruple-checked your circuit?
Remember, even with the most powerful Ebay crystal balls we still can't see how you've put your circuit together.

Have you 'borrowed' test code from somewhere?
Can you post it?

I take it you are new to all this and this is a school project which should have been finished last week?
Can you get any help from your teacher/tutor?

eclectic

rhys.

Which book?
Is it the David Lincoln
"Programming and Controlling......."

If so,then which pages?..

e

eclectic

@rhys.
There is a mistake in the book.
I'm not allowed to photocopy the book,
so please read these instructions carefully.

1.Look at page 143.
2. There is a connection missing.
Look at Leg 6.
There should be a connection to the middle of the 10k potentiometer
on the right hand side.

Try it and let us know please.

I'll try to draw a circuit later this morning.

e
PS. I haven't built the circuit, so I don't know if there are any
other mistakes.

Last edited:

rhysgj123

i noticed that mistake on page 143 but im trying to control the motor without a potentiometer so doesnt relly help...any suggestions

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
@ rhysgj123 : Please do not forget that many people here will not have the book and have no idea of the hardware, circuit or program you are referring to.

If you are changing the operation of a program, helping with that will require knowing what the program is meant to do and how it works.

Does the program work if you ( temporarily, for testing ) do use a potentiometer ?

Last edited:

rhysgj123

ok so does anybody know a circuit using these 2 chips where it is possible to control the motor without a potentiometer...i'll use any software

will try the pot now

slurp

ok so does anybody know a circuit using these 2 chips where it is possible to control the motor without a potentiometer...i'll use any software

will try the pot now
Have you looked at Manual 3 - Interfacing Circuits?

It shows the L293D but you'll need to tweak the PICAXE output pins to suit your 08.

regards,
colin

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
A variety of PICAXE Manuals and datasheets describe using the L293D, including PICAXE Manual 3 - Interfacing Circuits. You may have to connect the L293D control signals to different pin numbers than the examples to use an 08 ( Pin0, Pin1, Pin2 and Pin4 ).

Once connected up, it's then a case of providing the correct high or low levels on each of those 08 output pins to control the two motors.

BeanieBots

I've moved your thread from the robots section to the active forum.
Maybe you will get more responses there.

You'll also get more help if you answer some of the questions you've been asked and give more indication of what you have already tried. Also, as pointed out, not everybody has the same books as you. If you want to limit replies to only people who have the book, then that is your choice.

Last edited: