ULN2003 driving a relay

mlaymance

I am trying to drive a low current 5VDC relay with a Darlington driver (ULN2003). When I try to drive it with the driver it chatters.

I have a good solid 5VDC supply, and have connected it as in the Manual3 shows. I do not have a Diode across the coil. Should I have one? I can drive the relay direct with no problem. I am wondering about the darlington. Perhaps it isn't being driven hard enough?

I also tried paralleling multiple channels in the darlington, still no change.

Relay has a 52 ohm coil.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

moxhamj

You don't need a diode - it is inside the chip.

It sounds like either the power supply can't handle the load, or more likely, the power supply can't hanlde the peak current. Try putting a biggish cap across the 5V supply eg 1000uF or even 4700uF if you have one.

V=IR 5=52*I so I presume the power supply can supply 100mA.

sghioto

mlaymance,

What do you mean by the statement "I can drive the relay direct with no problem".

Steve G.

BeanieBots

The ULN2003 is a darlington driver.
Whilst darlingtons offer massive gain, the price is the increased volt-drop which can be as high as 1.2v.
A 1.2v loss on a 5v supply is quite a lot percentage wise.

When the output is on, measure the volts across the relay.
Try using a single transistor driver instead. Or a FET.

mlaymance

If I connect it direct (I know you are not supposed to), the Pic will supply enough current to operate the relay.

I will pick up a couple of transistors today.

Thanks,
Michael

Dippy

haha, well if you keep testing things like that then you'd better pickup a couple of new PICAXEs too ;)

mlaymance

ULN2003 Driving a relay

GUys,

Thanks for the assistance.

I added a 1000mfd cap to the 5v output, but I believe the problem was that the 5VDC supply voltage feed to the ULN2003 was on the wrong pin.

WOrks great now..... Thanks,

Michael