TSOP and a project board -

Jeroen

Hi all,
For some reason I am facing troubles connecting the TSOP 1838 which is sold as LED020.
The idea is to program the 18X using the CHI030 project board, so the chip can be plugged into the project later.

I built a little circuit for the TSOP as stated on page 78 of the basic commands manual. This circuit is connected to the CHI030 project board so that I can plug the entire setup in my project. However it does not work, I cannot get a remote control being deteced.

I’ve read all stuff Hippy published on this subject but it feels I have a more basic problem. Could someone please help me with some hints for testing?

I’v rechecked the circuit mentioned above. I have noticed that other tsops may have a different pin layouts, i.e. the first pin being pin 2, etc. The TSOP1838’s datasheet does not even mention pin layout. I used the layout described page 78 of the Picaxe basic commands manual. Could someone confirm to me what pin is what?

The CHI030 project board is powered by an exact 5V source on connections G and V2+. These connections also power the little circuit around the TSOP. The out of the circuit is connected to input connection 0 (on the left side of the board). A led (with R) is connected to output connection 3 and it’s corresponding G connection next to it. I verified the led working using code. When this did not work, I added resistor R8 to make input0 a digital input. Changing modes not work either. Should input0 be a digital or analogue input when using the infrain command? Or is the pulldown resistor obsolete because of the circuit around the tsop?

I checked the remotes, one of them is surely 38khz and it works. How can I measure on the TSOP or it’s circuit to see if I am using faulty components? I have access to a scope if needed.

I narrowed the code even down to:
main:
infrain
high 2
goto main

Is there a way of faking an input on input0 that makes infrain respond?

Any answers and hints very much appreciated.

It would be very helpful if somebody could share his experience on hooking a TSOP up to a project board.

eclectic

@ Jeroen.

I've just tried a CHI030 board, NO resistor 8.

TSOP wired as manual 1 page 80 (new manual)
Connected to input 0

program
Code:
main:
infrain ' or use infrain2

sertxd (#infra,cr,lf)
pause 500
goto main
I used the RevEd SONY compatible Remote.

It all works perfectly.

Does your remote control send Sony TV codes???
If it does, then you may need to check the circuit wiring.

e

Attachments

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
R8 is a pulldown resistor, and so not wanted. As in the diagram above you need 'pull-up' resistors.

Jeroen

It works now, the support circuit appeared not to be attached to picaxe's 0, due to a wrong assumption. Shame on me. Thanks very much for the effort of rebuilding it on your project board.