Trying to perfect a simple 28X1 circuit board.

Ruzzy

I've designed this board by working from the default components set by Crocodile Technology, and using realPCB to make the majority of the tracks(good god I hate how every time I export to realPCB, half the tracks get erased because they're connected to empty pads. even when you disable track modifying :( )

Anyway, I only expect to use 2 ADC pins and 2 hpwm pins, but I connected a few extra empty "pads" to other input/output pins just in case I decide to modify my school project. So here it is. Can someone do a check on this for me to see if there's anything that needs changing? I'm not a fan of the neatness(or lack of) on it, but I wont fuss about that. Thanks in advance.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It's very hard to tell if the board is right because a number of power and 0V connections are missing or not joined, it's not clear where power input connects from. If you sent those images off to have a PCB built from it won't work.

Ruzzy

I'm going to etch it myself. Sorry I didn't mention I already saw the absence of the positive and 0V tracks. But if this circuit is said to be otherwise okay, I'd add those tracks tomorrow morning.

MartinM57

You have to use the outer pins of the pairs on the jack socket - the inner ones aren't connected to the plug when it is inserted.

I've no idea if the PCB is correct for the circuit you want - as you haven't given us the circuit. Remember, circuit design doesn't start with the PCB - it usually ends there!

Ruzzy

Alrighty. Thanks for telling me about the jack. The circuit is actually the minimal circuit of a 28X1, just with extra tracks for those input and output pins that connect to unoccupied pads that I mentioned in the OP.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The rest of the circuit appears to be fine.

If you move the reset pull-up R to the right of the PICAXE ( so it jumps over the Serial Out line ) and route the +V to that through the PICAXE that may allow you to break out additional I/O lines.

It would also be worthwhile adding a 100nF decouplig capacitor across the power rails, and I'd also suggest a LED + R so you can tell when the board is powered.