Toned Loop Decoder?

kamilan

Can the PICAXE 08M be used as a Tone loop decoder similar to a 567NE IC?

Can another version of the chip do it, or should I just stick with the 567IC.

On another note,

Is it possible to use the 08M as a programmable logic gate? I have two logic PINS. I need to AND them, but have one input as a NOT.

Should I just use a NAND IC or is it possible to use the 08M.

If so, could some either help, or point me to the right section in the Manuals.

Cheers

K

BCJKiwi

No idea about the first Q but the second;
If pin1 = 1 AND pin2 = 0 then
EndIf

There are also interrupts,
or logic functions which could be applied to the result of the
'let b0 = pins'
command

Last edited:

Dippy

Any simple logic can be done on the PICAXE - its just a question of speed. Hardware will be faster than code.

PICAXE could be used as a crude NE567, by using Pulsin or Count. But your sample signal would have to be suitable. It couldn't tell the difference between a nice square wave and some noise that just happened to give the same Count for example.
And again you are limited by frequency/speed.
So, within limits, and with a 'nice' signal then yes.
And if you can make it work within the limitations then it can be more flexible than NE567 (and easier to set up and modify).

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
You will probably be better off sticking with an NE567 for doing tone decoding. It could possibly be done but would involve a lot of work and have limited bandwidth.

Using the PICAXE as a logic gate replacement is fairly easy. Exact code depends on what you want and which pins are used but this works ...

' Z = X And ( Not Y )

Symbol Z = outpin0
Symbol X = pin1
Symbol Y = pin2

Do
Z = Y ^ 1 & X
Loop

MFB

I agree with hippy, that you would be better sticking with the NE 567. There is a lot of analog processing going on in this chip, based around phase lock loop techniques, that would be impossible to implement with a PICAXE. At the very least you would have to precede the PICAXE with narrow band filter.

kamilan

Actually Hippy...

Are you the same hippy who has the help site?

I bought these FM modules from jaycar

Transmitter Module: ZW-3100
Receiver Module: ZW-3102

I've been trying to send information from one PICAXE 08M to another via the transmitters using serial in/out

Not getting the results I want. Here is my code... Could you suggest a few things?

' Transmitter Code

main:

b1 = 0
if pin3 = 0 then nosignal
if pin3 = 1 then signalpresent

goto main

nosignal:
low 2
b1=1
serout 4,n300,(85,b1)
high 0

goto main

signalpresent:
low 0
b1=2
serout 4,n300,(85,b1)
high 2

goto main

end

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

' Reciever Code

main:

b1 = 0

serin 4,n300,b1

if b1 = 2 then nosignal
if b1 = 1 then something

nosignal :
high 0
low 2
goto main

signalpresent:
high 2
low 0
goto main

end

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm using the two Schools Experimenter Packs with the 08M chip. Pins 0 and 2 are LED indicators.

Transmitter works fine. I've test with a scope and the information changes when pin3 is pressed (later to be swaped with a digial IN)

Problem:
The reciever doesn't pick up the information. It blinks once or twice then stops. PIN3 is Hi on the Tx, the Rx doesnt change.

Help or suggestions welcomed :)

Last edited:

Dippy

Oh, we're off at a tangent.

Did any of the previous answers help you make a decision?

Yes, he is the same hippy.

"Could you suggest a few things?"

- yes, I can suggest 2 things:

1. Start a new thread when on a NEW subject
2. Always post a schematic IF the query has potential problems relating to actual electrical/electronic connections.

I haven't looked at your code, so maybe the latter isn't needed. BUT please try and stick to one general subject per thread :)

kamilan

Opps!

Hey there,

Sorry about that Dippy! I had a look at the Stuff Manuka and got got things sorted.

Thank you guys SO MUCH!

Got the tx and rx working MINT AS!

Cheers