TechSupplies

boriz

It’s the only way I can buy things online. So it’s the only way they are going to get my money. What would be the difficulty? Don’t they like Paypal for some reason?

womai

They don't take American Express either. Which is a problem because I want to order a whole bunch of their USB-to-serial converters for my daytime job (the US distributors doesn't have them, and I can't use the integrated version with the phono plug at the other end); and Amex is our corporate card.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Don't forget that Tech Supplies payments are handled by a third party, WorldPay, part of Royal Bank of Scotland, so they control what they accept and Tech Supplies has little control over that except in changing payment handler.

I can certainly think of reasons not to like PayPal ( as buyer, seller or payment handler ) but it seems WorldPay has decided to accept PayPay so that may filter down to allowing PayPal payments through Tech-Supplies.

WorldPay can accept American Express and other payment means but sellers have to decide on whether any particular payment method is good for them or not. There's a lot more to it than simply getting money exchanged for goods, particularly when it comes to fraud, dispute, fees and general legal and commercial issues.

womai

I know Amex is somewhat more expensive (higher fees) for merchants that e.g. Visa. Thus I'd have no issues with Rev-Ed adding a surcharge on Amex payments (other vendors I work with do that).

RexLan

They don't take American Express either. Which is a problem because I want to order a whole bunch of their USB-to-serial converters for my daytime job (the US distributors doesn't have them, and I can't use the integrated version with the phono plug at the other end); and Amex is our corporate card.
Put them on your own CC and get reimbursed. A lot of merchants won't take Amex because of their rates.

RexLan

Problem with PayPal is that it adds another layer in the food chain which a legitimate merchant and the bank ultimately get to pay for. It was designed for eBay merchants who are really just people with a computer instead of a real entity who has a merchant account with their bank for credit cards..

papaof2

PayPal also works for those who use Craig's list (free online buy/sell/trade site www.craigslist.org). Some of us "Ebay merchants" are just trying to clean out our basements (amateur radio gear, collectible computers, etc). And then there are the big merchants (madeinbeijing)...

John

womai

Put them on your own CC and get reimbursed. A lot of merchants won't take Amex because of their rates.
I used to do that in the past. Problem is, new company policy is that the corporate care has to be used (they say it make it easier for them to track expenses).