Tech Supplies

RustyH

Hi,

Have any of you ordered from tech supplies recently. I only ask as I have just ordered and been bombarded with security questions that I have not had previously.

Things like bank sort code, date of birth, etc. I know of no other place where I order from regularly that ask for these specifics

This really put me off using them asking for so much info, the only thing they have not asked for yet is my PIN Number!!!

Haku

Placed an order late last Friday, it was posted Monday and arrived Tuesday. No issues.

One of my biggest annoyances with banks is their security theater, especially the Verified by Visa scheme which I can never remember the password so have to reset it almost every time. It's that reason I use PayPal for most things because the payments sail through with no fuss, but like all major businesses that handle money I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

russbow

Ordered some bits last wek, no problem.

Presumably you already had an account with them. My biggest problem is remembering my user name, and there is no option to get it sent back to you as there is with password.

eclectic

I concur with Haku.
It's almost certainly Visa.
I had a similar situation a while back.

Two choices:
1. The Visa system does eventually believe you. :)

2. Or, use PayPal.
Once you're registered, it's also faster to pay. (less form filling)

e

g6ejd

I ordered on Monday, received Tuesday, very good service.

Most problems I get are as a result of making more than 5 transactions/day or with a supplier who is unknown to VISA, then I have to call an automated fraud detection system that asks me to verify a transaction, VISA don't stop the transaction to my knowledge, they are just seeking assurance that it's genuine. Whats' annoying is the Verified By VISA system is ignored by the automatic Fraud Detection systems.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Hi,
Have any of you ordered from tech supplies recently. I only ask as I have just ordered and been bombarded with security questions that I have not had previously.
Things like bank sort code, date of birth, etc. I know of no other place where I order from regularly that ask for these specifics
This actually has absolutely nothing to do with the techsupplies store.

What you were seeing was the 'Verified by Visa' or 'Secured by Mastercard' schemes. These are schemes used by the card issuer themselves to add extra security to your online card purchases. You register with the scheme just once (on whatever store you happen to be using when Visa/Mastercard issue the security check - in this case it just happened to be us) and enter these details and create a password. On future transactions on a large number of online sites (Visa states 300,000+ sites) you will then be simply asked to input 3 random characters from this password, nothing more.

So the check comes from the card issuer themselves, not from the techsupplies store.

More details here:
http://www.visaeurope.com/en/cardholders/verified_by_visa.aspx

gengis

After reading that post on Security Theater, I'm convinced that the whole idea of "Verified by Visa" is just designed to spread paranoia and NOT "an additional layer of security to give (me) total confidence"

Dippy

How do come to that conclusion?
It is simply an extra password to type in. Often a pain I agree, but it IS an extra layer in effect.
I'm not sure how "paranoia" comes into it? I don't feel paranoid at all ... do you?

inglewoodpete

I find all this security stuff annoying until I discover that some hood has accessed my account/house/car/yard and taken or damaged something I value. Then, I think that some additional security would have been good.

Now that we use the www, we have to accept that there are undesirables that could potentially access stuff that we value, from the other side of the world. We can grumble about the extra precautions applied to us or we can learn from the hard lessons of others.

In this case, if you don't like the security measures of one service, go look for something that offers less security: it will be easier to access...... for everyone.

fritz42_male

Surfaces and Vectors are phrases that have been used medically for a long while. Security consultants just thought it should apply to computers as well (well they are called Viruses (Virii?) for a reason!). Anyway, jargon helps justify higher consultancy charges. Personally I'm fed up of people who habitually use TLAs

:cool:

fritz42_male

Surfaces and Vectors are phrases that have been used medically for a long while. Security consultants just thought it should apply to computers as well (well they are called Viruses (Virii?) for a reason!). Anyway, jargon helps justify higher consultancy charges. Personally I'm fed up of people who habitually use TLAs

:cool:

srnet

Personally I'm fed up of people who habitually repeat themselves .......

(Yes I know its a Forum 'feature')

inglewoodpete

How do you actually get the double posts to happen? I've never had them.
From my perspective, when you submit a page, it appears very slow in responding. Then the next thing you know, there is a prompt asking you if you really want to leave the page without submitting your data.

If you get to that point, you need to open another forum session and check to see if you've actually posted or not. Once you know whether your original post has worked, you have to return to the original page and answer the prompt with 'yes' or 'no' accordingly. Get it wrong and you end up not posting or you have a double post. Frustration all round.

You'd think that the Bulletin people would have got it sorted out by now. It's been several months, after all.

nick12ab

From my perspective, when you submit a page, it appears very slow in responding. Then the next thing you know, there is a prompt asking you if you really want to leave the page without submitting your data.
I've had that happen a few times but every time I just press 'Yes' and there's one post.