Stepper motor control systems?

euan eto

I'm studying the use of picaxe chips as control circuits for stepper motors as part of my college project.
One of the criteria for this project is that i research other ways of acheiving the aim.
In my case this means i need to find other ways of controlling the stepper motors other than the use of picaxe chips.
So far i have found various other micro-processors that can do the job, but i was wondering if it can be done without them,
i.e can i control a stepper motor using only electrical components without any "intelligent" or programmable control system.
Circuits using logic chips would acceptable. Any info (links, quotes, explinations, picture etc) would be greatly appreciated.
thank you

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The mechanism of controlling a stepper motor is a bit-banged process, the lines are set high and/or low in a specific sequence and it will step. It's possible using anything which can give the correct signals to the stepper in the right order, even toggle switches.

BeanieBots

All you need is a counter plus a little logic.
It can even be done with nothing more than a 4017 with the 5th output tied to the reset line.
(including suitable current drivers of course)

Odessa

I'm not sure if it'll work (the power conversion efficiency may be too low) but if you already have the stepper motors, try controlling one with another - i.e. hook them up together and spin the shaft of one of them. See if the output pulses are strong enough to move the other. If you have two identical steppers, I doubt this will work, but if you have a big one that's hard to nudge from one position to the next, and connect it to a smaller one, the output pulses may contain enough energy to do the trick (i.e. nudge the smaller one, tick for tick).

If this works it could be your easiest solution, and there probably won't be anybody else in your class presenting it. You can even use it to pick up good looking girls!

Odessa.

MPep

You can even use it to pick up good looking girls!
Really???
Anything I do, and my wife has been heard muttering something like this "bloody geek" or "why do you bother".

Mind you, I am not wanting a girlfriend :).