Software Update

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We've just uploaded 5.2.1 beta patch to the software page.

www.rev-ed.co.uk/software/patch521.zip

As this is the first release to use the new 'universal' Windows/Mac/Linux compilers we have released it as a beta at present. Other changes:

Symbol defined variables and constants now colour code after a compile
'Jump to label' shortcut added to menu bar (refreshed after a compile)
Font size option added to toolbar
Updated operation to use universal (Windows/Mac/Linux) compilers
Removed out-of-date (no longer maintained) 16 bit compilers
Error messages shows approximate location of error when known
Corrected print (filename after Save As) issue
Corrected compiler inversion of enabledbod/disablebod on 28X1
Corrected issue with simulation of keyleds command
Corrected issue with simulation of inv unary command
Corrected issue with 20M firmware check description
Terminal and datalink now always release serial port after closing
Added 'infraout' command to flowchart mode.
Updated manuals 1 and 2 to open at 100% view

westaust55

Thank you and great work.

Will download when I return home in a few days and try it out

A couple of questions (as not mentioned in list above):
1. has the "error" where the variable x is coloured differently in PE been rectified?

2. have some/any of the typographic errors reported in recent times been corrected in the manuals or is it just limited to changing the viewing arranagments and fixing the contents page links so far?

Last edited:

westaust55

wrt my point 2, a bit of checking this morning suggests that work has been done on the contents of manual 2 to correct errors.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Yes. On 1 this has been done, it is as simple edit of the .rw (reserved words) files found in the installation folder.

Last edited:

tarzan

PE 5.2.1 beta

PE 5.2.1 beta

Just for the purpose of understanding the x2 slots programming space available, I wrote a test program that uses 4096 bytes for the first slot and another 4096 bytes for the second slot “slot 2” that’s two slots of the available reported four slots. If I define only the first slot and run “Syntax Check” all is well but if I try to include both program slots for a total byte count greater than 4096 bytes beyond the point that I’m toll to reduce my program length by 2618 (+?) bytes I get an error saying “picaxe28x2.exe has encounter a problem and needs to close …” and then reports “Memory used = 0 bytes out of 4096”.

I imagine that to run a program in the simulator that includes all slots will require that program length be not affected by this error. Please can you give a clear description of the available space for each of the four slots in the new manual?

Also the “#slot n” directive & “run n” command accepts numbers greater than 4.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Program slots are separate programs. Therefore they are saved (and downloaded to the PICAXE) as separate files. So, for instance, to simulate two active slots you will have two windows open in the Programming Editor - and the highlighting will swap between the two open files as required during simulation. Further technical details about how this works will be available when the parts are released, but basically in the file containing slot1 program you define the filenames containing slot 2,3,4 etc - a bit like an 'include' file in other languages.

#slot accepting numbers greater than 4 is also for a reason. More details upon official release.

Last edited:
I see that the #INCLUDE directive is still not included in the programming editor. Could you give any indication as to when this feature may be introduced because it would significantly help me, and plenty of other people here.

Other than that, everything appears to be working great, all apart from the fact that when you write output0, it remains black. This is nothing new, and does not affect the program from being downloaded, but would be better if it could be fixed by the time the final version of 5.2.1 comes out.

Thanks.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
#include is on the way, it is actually quite difficult to implement within simulation routines etc.

Thanks for pointing out output0 had been overlooked (output1-7 are there!), we will change the master file but you can easily add it into 'constants.rw' yourself if you want an immediate solution.

alexthefox

#include is on the way, it is actually quite difficult to implement within simulation routines etc.

Thanks for pointing out output0 had been overlooked (output1-7 are there!), we will change the master file but you can easily add it into 'constants.rw' yourself if you want an immediate solution.
have you recive my traslation for italian?