Shrink DIP (0.07") to DIP (0.1")

benryves

I'll first mention that I am fully aware that this is not related to PICAXE microcontrollers, so I apologise in advance if I shouldn't be talking about it here -- but I don't know of any other electronics forum with a high concentration of UK-based members.

In a nutshell, I have an IC (a Z80180 MPU) packaged as a shrink DIP 64. There is a 0.07" (1.78mm) gap between pins and 0.75" (19.05mm) between the two rows of pins. All of the existing equiment I have and other components expect 0.1" gaps between pins. Does anyone have any recommendations as to the best way to access this IC? I have no PCB manufacturing equipment, and my best idea thus far is to acquire a wire wrap shrink DIP 64 package (which I have not yet found) in the correct dimensions, splay out the pins and plug/solder them into a DIP 64 socket at the correct size or a pair of SIP 32 sockets.

In the meantime, I have been experimenting with the other components I intended to use with this Z180 with a PICAXE-28X1, and (as ever!) have appreciated the rapid development that the PICAXE series offer. :) Getting something meaningful on a 128x64 LCD took all of fifteen minutes!

benryves

Cheers for your reply. I'll keep hunting -- several companies (chiefly US-based, sadly) appear to offer adapters between SDIP and DIP for prototyping, but they're rather expensive (some five times more for the socket than for the Z180!)

Re your second comment -- "you might want to check the width in the Zilog Packaging Datasheet" -- do you mean I'm mistaken in thinking that it's 0.75"? (Page 121 of the product specification seems to indicate that it is).

In case it's of any use to anyone (and in a vague attempt to make this slightly more relevant to PICAXE) I've posted very rough notes of the graphical LCD and 32KB RAM experiments I've made based around the PICAXE-28X1, with sample code.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
You're right, 0.75" is the same in the packaging spec. Somehow I ended up reading the table for a smaller package.