Shoutout to Kranenborg

erco

Big thanks to Jurjen AKA Kranenborg, who sent me a delightful package all the way from the Netherlands to Los Angeles. He had PM'ed me previously to ask if I would be interested in some older Picaxe chips he was rehoming. "Of course", I replied, but he wouldn't take any money, not even for shipping. The chips arrived yesterday and I am looking forward to playing around when I get a minute. I only entered the Picaxe world when the M2 chips were announced. But my first foray into microcontrollers was in 1991 using the very first BASIC Stamp BS-1 (256 bytes of RAM), so this old man (me) has a healthy appreciation for vintage chips and working with the limitations of their day.

I cling to many other old/retro things too. My giant 1941 Philco radio/phono and 1960 Philco Predicta TV (both vacuum tubes, obviously), and the love of my life and first car, a 1967 Chevy Corvair I am currently restoring. Old things rule!

Thanks again, Jurjen, I really appreciate your gift. I have never seen the cool chrome stickers before. You rock!

IMG-8068 (1).JPG

kranenborg

Thanks for your kind words Erco, I am happy to see that these chips arrived quickly and in proper shape (cheap per unit, but still so powerful and flexible so deserve good use) and in a good home!
The fact that I am shedding these chips and have been less active at this forum lately does by the way not mean that I am retiring from the world of picaxe (I recently ordered a bunch of new M2 and X2 chips for my projects), it is just that many other things consume my spare time. In that respect you and me seem quite alike as well regarding love for vintage stuff: my combined study & hobby room is inhabited by my Philips EE collection from the '70 and 80'ties (I have referred to sometimes), a slightly restored Grundig Satellit 2400 world receiver (the one that I wanted as a youngster but definitely could not afford then, obtained one a year ago and is now Bluetooth AptX enabled and is my indispensible sound system when happily hobbying), and - last but not least - my drainpipe based telescope of 45 years that I am currently restoring (because it has high-grade Polarex optics in it that needs some corrections ...). Happy hobbying to you all!

/Jurjen

Attachments

Last edited:

lbenson

If you have a use, I'd be happy to mail you 6 14Ms and an 08M from Florida. If I dig, I might find more. An 08M has been controlling pan and tilt on my rivercam since 2009.

erco

lbenson: Thanks for your generous offer! I'd hate to hoard though, as I now have a good supply of Picaxes past & present thanks to kranenborg.

Of course I'll take them if you really want/need to rehome them, but may I suggest that you create a new post offering them to others in the forum who may need them more. It would be great to find a young person (or school) who could put them to good use.

Last edited: