Shift registers

Andrew Cowan

I have had a fun day learning to use shift registers - and here is the outcome.

A DS18B20 temperature sensor.
An 08M
Two 78hc595 Shift registers
Two 7 segment LED displays

I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Any questions? :)

Andrew

Attachments

Last edited:

testerrrs

Have a play with a MAX7219. 8 Digit 7 Seg driver. Uses SPI but with a modified bitbang routine it's not hard to get working.

The thing is basically a 8x16bit shift register. Might be a worthwhile extension to your project.

Jon

tiscando

stp16cl596b1rstp16c596m

A versatile shift reg - driver chip is also here: stp16cl596: parallel-out shift register current regulating LED sinking driver.

marcos.placona

Have a play with a MAX7219. 8 Digit 7 Seg driver. Uses SPI but with a modified bitbang routine it's not hard to get working.

The thing is basically a 8x16bit shift register. Might be a worthwhile extension to your project.

Jon
Indeed, the max7219 are real fun too. It's a bit complicated to get them working at first, but once you understand it well, it's piece of cake, and they are really powerful.

westaust55

Shift registers - Part 2

Hi Andrew,

Congratulations on getting your 74HC595 shift registers working.

If and when you want to transfer the data the other way, that is parallel in to serial out to get 8 inputs into a single PICAXE input, then have a look at the 74HC165. These work in the same way as the 74HC595's.

Andrew Cowan

That's the problem with veroboard. steska - what have you used for chip holders? Looks interesting (although hard to solder in). Do you have the chip inserted when you solder?

Thanks,

Andrew

Last edited:

steska

That's the problem with veroboard. steska - what have you used for chip holers? Looks interesting (although hard to solder in). Do you have the chipinserted when you solder?

Thanks,

Andrew
Those individual machine pins do come with holders.
Easy to run the wrap wire between individual pins or through the center.

If using the cheep sockets, I use he ones with slots, run a chainsaw file
along the bottom of the socket to cut a grove and run the wires through if needed.

Attachments

Andrew Cowan

Do you have a problem of those machine pin holders acting as heatsinks when soldering? I would imagine they would make soldering harder.

Andrew

steska

Do you have a problem of those machine pin holders acting as heatsinks when soldering? I would imagine they would make soldering harder.

Andrew
Absolutely none, also have some holders with plastic back that look like
a blind machine pin sockets.