serrxd cannot be used on 08M

ajahajah

Hi all,

I have been using PICAXE 08M for my work and have been studying on serial communication between the chip and my desktop. So far, I have been able to use serout, serin and sertxd. However, everytime I try to use serrxd, I keep having an error msg that says " 'serrxd' command not supported in this mode!".

Now, I know that I can use other pin for serin but 08M have very few pins so I want to make use of serial download pin for receiving data. According to picaxe manual 2, serrxd didnt mention that it does not work for 08M chip so I would expect it to work. Pls help!

Dippy

"According to picaxe manual 2, serrxd didnt mention that it does not work for 08M chip so I would expect it to work"

- Sorry, I can't really help other than to say that the Manual 2 does say that it cannot be used with the 08M.
See attached image.
You'll note that the 08M is not mentioned in the compatible PICAXE models graphic.

EDIT: It may be worth Rev-Ed adding a page near the start explaining the graphics - then that would remove ALL ambiguity (assuming it was read of course :) )

Attachments

Last edited:

Texy

There are now so many differences between chips, that perhaps its time to have a manual per chip, rather than the 3 that covers all?

Texy

Dippy

Then someone would say "But there is even more in common that you could have one manual and indicate which command applies to a particular PICAXE" - strangely enough that is what we have right now :)

You can't please all of the people all of the time... and various other cliches ;)

IMHO I think it works well right now except I'd like to see a little more detail and examples on a few of the commands. Some are little sophisticated to get the old noggin around easily & quickly.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Put a link between leg 2 and any other pin (remeber the diode if it is leg 4/pin3).
That may work but not in all cases. The principle is that while the PICAXE is executing a SERIN it will not be executing its 'check for download' code, thus it is likely to work providing the PICAXE is waiting for SERIN when data arrives. If it is not, any data sent will confuse the PICAXE, force it to enter download mode, see no download, then restart the program some time later.

When using Leg 3 (08/08M) it is not necessary to add an external diode when it is directly connected to another input pin; you can rely on the other input pin's internal diode to do the job.

It is possible to use a normally input line to become Output Low to clamp Serial In which will stop it seeing any perceived download data but that uses up an I/O line and a diode will be needed for Leg 3. The PICAXE will also need to be hard-reset ( power cycled ) for every download.

Code:
                            _ _
              22K            |   .--------.
              ___    .--|>|--^---| +V  0V |---.
>---.----.---|___|---|------.--->| SI  O0 |   |
   .|.   |    ___    |      `----| O4  X1 |   |
   | |   `---|___|---^---------->| I3  X2 |   |
   |_| 22K    22K                `--------'   |
   _|_________________________________________|_

StartProgram:
   Low 4
   Do
     SerIn 3, N2400, b0
     SerTxd( b0 )
   Loop
Another suggestion has been to simply use "SERIN 5" however I've never managed to make that work reliably.

Last edited:

Texy

Then someone would say "But there is even more in common that you could have one manual and indicate which command applies to a particular PICAXE" - strangely enough that is what we have right now :)

You can't please all of the people all of the time... and various other cliches ;)

IMHO I think it works well right now except I'd like to see a little more detail and examples on a few of the commands. Some are little sophisticated to get the old noggin around easily & quickly.
We'll have to agree to disagree then ;)- I can't see anything better than having a manual that describes exactly the commands, (and only the commands that are relevant) that are supported by the actual picaxe you are using.

Texy

westaust55

We'll have to agree to disagree then ;)- I can't see anything better than having a manual that describes exactly the commands, (and only the commands that are relevant) that are supported by the actual picaxe you are using.

Texy
And . . .

Those who set out here to help many others need to hold around separate 20 manuals when also including some chips no longer produced but that people may still have.

Feel I have to concur with Dippy.
Maybe a little more clarity (BOLD PRINT on page 1) on PICAXE chip images at the left and the flow symols at the top right - but it comes down to reading the manuals in the end.

BeanieBots

Have to agree with Dippy & Westaus.
The amount in common far outweighs the differences and IMHO the existing manual is quite clear which commands are applicable to which PICAXEs.

Wrenow

Texy
Hmmm. I would find individual manuals for each chip both wasteful and such a PIA as to be virtually useless. What if I find I have a particular need, and want to look up the command? In the current manual, I can do so, and see what chips support it. With individual manuals, unless i happened to get the right manual, I might think the command does not exist.

Structuring the manual around the language and commands, while designating which chips can or cannot use them, seems far more efficient and less confusing.

Plus, think of the support issues (go to manual 2 of the 20x2 rev 3y for that one....)

Just my .02, but I think the current manual structure is a better idea.

Cheers,

Wreno