Serial port error when downloading

scrub

I have a USB to serial converter and a picaxe 18A. When I attempt to download a program I get error: serial port error code 0x1F54 error reading comm device. I know the USB to serial converter works because I had it connected to a modem previously. The proper com port is selected. Any ideas?

Texy

I have a USB to serial converter and a picaxe 18A. When I attempt to download a program I get error: serial port error code 0x1F54 error reading comm device. I know the USB to serial converter works because I had it connected to a modem previously. The proper com port is selected. Any ideas?
not all USB to serial convertors are compatable As the chipset needs to support break command. Which chipset does the convertor use? Also are
You sure the wiring to the chip is correct?

Texy

scrub

USB010 from REV -ED

The USB to serial converter was purchased from REV-ED the invoice lists product no. USB010.

scrub

USB010 from REV -ED

The USB to serial converter was purchased from REV-ED the invoice lists product no. USB010. It is currently wired corectly, but when I first tried it, the transmit and receive to the chip were reversed.

Texy

OK, so at this point you dont know if either the cable or the picaxe has been damaged, or some other reason, unless you have more than one picaxe chip?
Are you able to make a serial cable to prove either way?
I,m sure I,ve wired up my usb cable incorrectly at some point in the past and caused no damage, perhaps I was lucky.

Texy

Texy

When you first connected up the cable, did you use the picaxe drivers, or what Windows wanted to use? What does Device Manager tell you about the cable/drivers/comm port?

Obviously I have the AXE027 rather than the USB010 here, but I,m assuming it should show similiar.

Texy

scrub

still no joy

The device manager shows Prolific USB to Serial Comm Port (COM4). It was installed with the tiny CD that came with the converter. I just purchased hyper terminal and retested the com port using no handshake serial loop back (pin 2 conected to pin3). That works fine.