Serial Output using AXE027cable

Icarus60

Can somebody please steer this geriatric newbie in the right direction?

I am enjoying my Picaxe experience which I was first intoduced to a month or so ago when my Triac contolled light dimmer circuit couldn't deliver the degree of contol I was after to drive a varying voltage into a heater wire.

I aquired a Axe022 board with a Picaxe28X installed and an Axe027 download cable.

A couple of potentiometers, a logic level MOSFET, good advice and lots of reading later I now have the total control I was looking for. Brilliant.

I next wanted to know how hot the heater wire is getting and have,with the help of this forum aquired a MAX6675 chip with the intention of using a K type thermocouple. This SOIC is now mounted so that I can see where it is at all times.
Then it dawned on me that I would need to display the aquired temperature.

So a twig hop onto LCD displays and after robbing a LCD module from an old navigation device and reading both Picaxe Vol 3 manual on interfacing and hippy's excellent website info on LCDs I can now display "Hello" and similar. Brilliant.

I am now asking myself - where next.
It would be nice to display temp on a PC first if that is easier than interfacing to the LCD (and potentally for a future data logger) and then on the LCD.

What piece of kit do I neet to do this. I read about having a a serial interface and this looks relatively simple to make. But then I read at the bottom of the Axe027 manual that:

"The AXE027 USB cable may also be used to transmit/receive serial data from the PICAXE input/output pins (via serin and serout commands)."

Does this mean that with bit more reading and work I will be able to see the temperature on (1) my pc and (2) the LCD with the hardware I already have?
If yes can somebody please point me in the direction of useful info on this.
If no, then what hardware do I need to make/buy to move forward.

They say that - "..... a little knowledge is dangerous thing" so I must appear very dangerous at the moment but any help you could give will be highly appreciated as I progress(?) up my vertical learner curve!

Thanks in anticpation

I POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG PLACE (HERE) - CAN THIS BE DELETED PLEASE AS I HAVE POSTED AGAIN IN ACTIVE FORUM

Last edited:

eclectic

Icarus

Axe027 quote

“The AXE027 USB cable may also be used to transmit/receive serial data from the
PICAXE input/output pins (via serin and serout commands). “

I'm assuming this means using the
SERTXD command.

So, you don't need to buy anything. Just keep the cable connected.

Say, your temperature value is in W0, then simply use

Sertxd (#W0, cr, lf)

And, depending on your LCD, something like

Serout 1, n2400, (#W0)

e