serial lcd etc

sarabande

hi guys
I am hoping to use my humble 08m serial out to drive a 2 line 16 character lcd
what do require to achieve this, lcd /interface/driver/software etc, as long as I can it functioning with a simple project I will be happy then I will go from there
cheers

inglewoodpete

AXE033

hi guys
I am hoping to use my humble 08m serial out to drive a 2 line 16 character lcd
Is your starting point an 08M and a parallel LCD (as sold by JayCar and Altronics)?

If you already have a serial LCD, the rest is easy.

If not, have a look at the AXE033. It costs a few dollars more than the parallel LCD but all the hard work is done for you. MicroZed are very quick off the mark with postal deliveries.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
If you haven't got any LCD hardware, the AXE033 is the easiest solution, includes 2x16 LCD which is pretty much plug-in and go. If you already have an LCD, assuming it is HD44780 compatible, then FRM010 would be an alternative.

Both will work with a PICAXE-08M but LCD applications may require considerable storage to put text up on the display. Depending on what you want to do it may be worth considering moving up to the 18X or an X1 or X2.

manie

Having worked with the FRM010 serial LCD driver chip (from Rev-Ed), I can say that route worked extremely well for me. It worked out the box (my own circuit and PCB) with a 20 x 4 Blue LCD from the East, no problem... consider it. Also as Hippy said above, maybe you will require a lot more memory (EEPROM etc also) for LCD text displays. It does take a lot of space...

Haku

Does anyone know if there's an SMD version of the FRM010?

I'd like some day to do a project involving the same sized screen as the uWatch and keep is as small as possible.

Sparkfun sell a serial LCD backpack which uses a SMD PIC for the interfacing, but I'd prefer not to have the hassle of desoldering it & re-soldering it on my own custom board, including working out its pinout.

Mad Professor

Haku:
The FRM010 is only a PICAXE-18M (PIC16F819) with custom firmware.
I know that you can get the 14M & 20M in SMD, but I have not seen the 18M is SMD.
Maybe if you ask the powers that be at TechSupplies for a SMD version of the FRM010.
I also would like this.

Last edited:

westaust55

Does anyone know if there's an SMD version of the FRM010?

I'd like some day to do a project involving the same sized screen as the uWatch and keep is as small as possible.
The FRM010 is based upon the PIC16C620A chip.
According to the Microchip 2003 datasheet the chip is available in PDIP, SOIC and SSOP packages.

However, all Rev Ed literature that I have seen has the DIP package chip variant.
Think it would require Rev Ed staff to confirm if a SMD variant is in fact available.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I don't believe there is a SMD version available at present and don't know if there will be one in the future but will pass the request on. Being an older 16C chip, availability, cost, production tools to program such an SMD chip, and potential market size might not create a good buisness case, nor may 'porting it to a modern chip'.

Haku

That is a shame there's not SMD version available because looking at the serial LCD displays available from techsupplies they seem somewhat disproportional, the circuitboard(s) look overly big for their purpose.

This is the LCD screen I want to use as it looks almost cute and ideal for small projects, just a shame there's a $50 min order for international postage and they don't post to the UK (?!), I'll have to find somewhere else.

westaust55

That postage for items out of the US is often the killer.
Have a look at www.futurlec.com.au. (there is also Futurlec.com which I believe is the US arm and does have a slightly different catalogue) They may have something as an alternative you can use. Although they have an Australian “shop front”, the Warehouse is in Thailand and postage is extremely good.
UK members may be able to put you onto other suppliers in that region.

leds4u

Not sure if I should post it here, but I gave my poor AXE033 LCD module 12v by mistake, and now it doesn't work, :eek: would it be the firmware chip that's gone, or the lcd as well? Thanks

BeanieBots

Agree with IP.
Just put it in the bin and chalk that one up to experience.
Even the LCD itself is likely to be damaged and without question the driver will be shot. Not something which can be repaired.

manie

Maybe Dr.A can chip in here also. I once gave my White on Blue 20 x 4 from that-Bay direct 12V(by mistake also) and it SURVIVED ! Still working in fact, maybe they have regulation on-board there ?

leds4u

Ok I'll count that one dead. I'll get another AXE033 IC because it is the only semiconductor on the serial board and then I'll have to get another LCD for it..