Serial data in Similation mode

Wingrider

Have a project using a 08m2 to read a serial data line. If certain data strings are received, the 08m2 will open or close a control line.
The program works fine and does what I want. My question, is there any way to read a log file of the data received in simulation mode.

I know I can enter a data string in manually when the serial-in command asks for it, but I would like to have the serial in read the serial data from a file?

Buzby

I don't know of anyway to send a file to the simulated 'serial pins' in PE. The PE Terminal seems to be the only interface to the simulated chip.

In the past I have worked round this problem by using two sets of serial pins on a real chip. One for PE via the normal programming cable, and the other through a Serial-to-USB cable to a 3rd party terminal running on the same PC. Using a terminal, like TerraTerm or RealTerm, will then let you send files and log received data to files.

The downside is you need a real Picaxe with enough serial pins, and need to program your Picaxe to use them.

Here we have yet another reason for an improved PE Terminal, but I've been asking for years !

Wingrider

Thank you for the reply. This was just a can it be done question. The program works fine and has been for 6 years. I was using the program to play around with the simulator and was curious if it could be done.