RF Data Transmission

George Sephton

Hi all,
I have a MICRF620 and Im trying to send data over RF but I can't say I know where to start as there's not much on data transmission with this. Is there like a tutorial where I can learn about data transmission over RF and then can move on to experimenting with this. I've only really looked at this thing which isn't helpful but includes the MICRF620: http://www.webx.dk/rc/uhf-link/uhf-link-telemetry.htm

Thanks for any help,
George S.

manuka

George - sounds like fun! IMHO the key to wireless data work involves STARTING SIMPLY. Just grab some cheapo 433MHz tx/rx "garage door openers" & use them to gain gain experience. A VHF/UHF scanning receiver can be a handy aid by the way, especially if interference is suspected.

I've all manner of "get you started" 433 + PICAXE resources at => www.picaxe.orconhosting.net.nz

If you're a ham check details on APRS technologies -Google returns millions of links. Stan

lanternfish

Hi George. Have you downloaded a datasheet? Here is a link - http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/132615/MICREL/MICRF620.html. This seems like a slightly difficult way to start. Suggestions are a) read datasheet to understand register and dataset programming for this chip, and b) reading the PICAXE manual for the SPIIN/SPIOUT commands. A simpler approach would be to visit Manuka's website. Manuka has great resources for RF data transmission. Maybe you should start there. Cheers

Dippy

Quite a nice little module and should kep any novice busy for a few weeks. Not only from the code aspect but also with your CAD skills too.

I'd go along with Stan and suggest you start more simply George.

However, if you are determined (maybe you bought it cheaply from Ebay?) then my first task would be to go to the manufacturer's site and see if there are any Application Notes and/or code snippets.

Maybe someone here has used a similar product so keep watching this space.
Maybe some kind soul will write the code for you...

You say you have ONE of these? What will it talk to?

George Sephton

Thanks for all your advice,
@Dippy: I have a few really :S
@MFB: Thanks very much for the link

But yeah I have looked at a few modules from Quasar that look more instresting for my level which I have order, they simply have a Data IN and Out and power and antenna so, a lot less complicated.

Thanks for all your help.
George.