resistors for serial download circuit

rmeldo

Hi,

I am building a board for an 8M and I don't have at hand a 10K resistor as specified by the manual.

I have instead a 7K9 resistor instead. Will it do or do I really need a 10K?

thanks

Riccardo

BeanieBots

It's not a very critical value. I'm sure 7k9 will be fine.
Please tell, where on earth did you get 7k9 from? A most obscure value.
FWIW, I never let my 10k drawer get below 20. Possibly the most commonly used value.

rmeldo

Thanks.

I got a "lucky bag" of resistors from Maplin. Measured it again. definitive 7K9.

And yes, I will be stocking up on resistor in my next order.

moxhamj

Buy some bulk 1k, 10k and 100k. Then grow your resistor collection from there. I just got to the Holy Grail of resistor collections after 20 years - parts drawers with one drawer per value. Have just purged some of the really odd mixed bag values I got as a kid and now realise I'm never going to use...

westaust55

FWIW, I never let my 10k drawer get below 20. Possibly the most commonly used value.
7.9kOhm could be an 8.2kOhm resistor which is very close to the 5% tolerance limit. 8.8k - 5% = 7.79k.

Would be even be slightly out of spec on 5% tolerance is supposedly a 7.5k resistor (7.5k +5% = 7.85k)

The "Lucky Dip" bag might explain the reason - bulk el-cheapo's ?

Last edited:

Wrenow

Amen, BB, a handy size. In fact, when modding a RC transmitter that did not have end point adjustments (EPAs) to fit a specific ship, I replaced the 16.8k potted joystick (acting as a voltage divider) with a 20k slide pot. To restrict the servo to the range desired, made a quick guess that 10K should be close (well, actually tried it out with another pot as a variable resistor to find the basic "range"), and it seemed 10k would bet me pretty close, so I tried them. Turned out to be dead-on perfect! Of course, this was one part good guessing and 99 parts luck (or a case of the Good Lord looking out for fools like me and granting a small miracle), but, regardless of the explanation, the 10k was handy and worked a treat. And, for tying pins high, etc.

I try to keep several 330R, 1k, 10k, 100k, 2k2, 22k 220k, and 4k7 as the minimum in my little Picaxe playbox (a large fisherman's bait box with breadboards, a multitester, couple o' battery packs, various actives and passives, and, of course, picaxes).

Cheers,

Wreno

rmeldo

It might measure 7k9 but what is it marked as?
Maybe 7k5 or 8k2??
I really don't know. The resistors in that bag have a lot of lines on them and the background color choice is pretty poor. I gave up trying to interpret them and I have resorted to measuring them.

As I said i will buy a selection on my next order to rapid or equivalent.

a question I have is on the physical size of the resistors. there are small and bigger ones. I have in the back of my mind that size=power rating, with normal size being for 1/2 watt.

BeanieBots

That's actually a tough one rmeldo.
Early carbon resistors could be 20mm X 5mm and only good for 1/4W.
Newer metal film resistors can be 5mm X 2mm and good for 1/2W.

Would need to actually see it to make an educated but still a guesstimate of it's rating. As a general guidline, bigger = more watts but not always.

@Westaust,
Could be well in spec for either value. Many resistor ranges are +/-10% or even +/-20%.
Might even be an E96 range and be within 0.5%.
Also, tollerance of meter???.

Last edited:

rmeldo

Using Ohm equation

Power = V^2/R.

so for Picaxe which works at 5V 1/4 Watt is reached with 100 Ohm, which is a relatively small reistance. That leads me to concluse that for packaging sake 1/4 Watt or even smaller resistors are adequate for Picaxe projects....... but what do I know

BeanieBots

Actually, for MOST projects, resistor power rating is not an issue.
More often than not, if you find (or heaven forbid CALCULATE) that a resistor will be disspating power, then step back and ask yourself WHY?