Reset button

Gramps

I do not have room for a reset button on this project so I'd like to leave it off but it looks like it's important that the resistor should be included.
is that correct?

inglewoodpete

You've left us guessing but I assume you're referring to a 28X2 or 40X2.

Yes, a pull-up resistor is necessary on the reset pin. It can be located under the chip if you're using a socket for the PICAXE. Alternatively, it can be surface mounted on the reverse side of the circuit board - it need not be a tiny SMD resistor if you have space for a through-hole resistor soldered to copper pads.

bpowell

Is there anything else you can do with the reset button pin?
It depends on how RevEd configured the chip ... the reset pin is just another pin on the PIC itself (although it's INPUT ONLY)... but if the CONFIG3 bit is set so that it's only function is MCLR, then that's all it is, a reset. But, if they have it configured to treat RE3 as an input, and the PICAXE firmware is polling that input and issuing a software reset, then I'd suspect you could probably do something with it via special registers. Maybe even turning it into a weak output via the weak pull-up resistor register.

Gramps

Not that I need an extra pin. The 28x2 appears to have 21 available pins. This project only uses 12..