Remote signalling to a PICAXE system

MartinM57

I want to make some sort of small battery powered (CR3032 type) handheld box with 2 momentary push switches on it, to be able to send button 'pushed' signals to a PICAXE project in another box within 2-3 metres of it, but not necessarily in line of sight...and not using wires :D

Box will be used very infrequently but batteries must last a year or two before replacement.

Options:
- IR - not guaranteed to get there - units might not be in IR view of each other
- Xbee - OTT for two momentary push switches
- 433MHz - maybe? Sound OTT as well though
- something else?

The 'pushed' signals might actually be a bit more complex - there might be two handheld boxes in close proximity to two PICAXE boxes, but the switches from only the 'matching' handheld box should be acted on.

So the obvious analogy is remote central locking via a key fob to a car - what's a DIY design and build for a system like that?

Over to the Brains Trust that is the PICAXE forum. TIA, Martin

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Piezo / speaker and a microphone ?

Does the TX+RX pairing issue extend to being able to use both at the same time ?

Added : What about RFID tags ?

Last edited:

Dippy

Can't you use the small/cheap RF Modules you see everywhere?

To reduce power usage on Rx you duty cycle the Rx module.

Rickharris

Not using wires? Why not is my first question - Optical fibre an option?

Your choices are sound, radio , light, air pressure, hydraulics, mechanical link. Take your pick(axe)

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I wasn't clear, I was meaning RFID tag which is only active when a button is pushed ( simple push-to-make on the aerial may work ). Obviously needs to be of suitable range. An RFID reader in the cupboard for each box there scans for RFID tags when one is in range, and enabled, it knows that. With a passive RFID you wouldn't need batteries :)

I don't think there's any real solution other than RF.

You could consider modulating a crystal oscillator module if you want RF on the cheap.

Mycroft2152

I'd agree with Pof2. It will cost you as much to build it yourself.

Of course if it is a "learning experience", then go for it.

I also have a few wheels that need reinventing while you are at it. :)