recovering data

davidwf

Is it possible to retrieve the code FROM a PICAXE ?

....just wondered in case I ever "lost" it from the PC

alband

No.. come on guys don't give up.;)
What about if you got a PICAXE that is bigger than the one your testing. Connect all the in's to out's and out's to in's and then set your big chip to run a routine of tests to see what the outcome is and how long it takes. It send this info to some kind of memory bank (another PICAXE?) and at the end of the test it converts its information into a serial output do display on an LCD. This could be an enormass program so would probably need a 40X but would work surely?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
@ alband : It's a possible approach and there are other techniques which could be applied, some near instant but expensive, some quite straight forward if it's the right PICAXE, you have the right tools, and you know what you're doing.

There's a big step though from knowing what the tokenised program downloaded into a PICAXE is and what it's source code is, and for an interrogative decoding it's an even bigger leap. It's usually easier to just rewrite the code from scratch again.

Perhaps the correct answer is - how desperate do you need it recovering and how much money have you got ?

Michael 2727

Maybe a download Log file in .txt format could be included in the program editor.
(for every successful download)
The file should be in its own folder on the HDD and not in the Programming Editor folder.
(and should not be overwritten with a new/fresh install of the Prog Editor)
Whit the size of current HDDs a file like that is only a drop in a bucket.

2 cents worth :)

EDIT: All of my .bas files are stored in their own location on my HDD anyway
which I recommend for any data or any other file you create.

Last edited:

westaust55

Last edited:

moxhamj

alband "Connect all the in's to out's and out's to in's and then set your big chip to run a routine of tests to see what the outcome is and how long it takes."

So if someone puts a lovely cold frothy beer in front of me, and I drink it, you could conclude that the program running in my brain is:

main: if beer = true then
drink beer
endif
goto main

Programming a picaxe is a one way trip. I print out the program on a piece of paper and put it in the box with the picaxe.

Hmm - to truly replicate all functions of the brain, maybe expand that program slightly. Still will fit in an 08M though;

main: if beer=true then drink beer
if food = true then eat food
if pretty_girl=true then make_witty_conversation
if pretty_girl=true and recent_beer_consumption=true then make_witty_conversation
goto main

Note that the make_witty_conversation subroutine may not be interpreted as such. This is not due to the function not working, but rather, the well known effect of beer causing distortion in the local atmosphere and causing speech to become unintelligible.

Last edited:

BeanieBots

The beer function also has significant impact on the "if girl = pretty" function.
Good tip about printing out code and including inside the project box.
I also do that and often include the circuit diagram as well.
With strip board designs I've also started including an anotated photo.

alband

Wonder how hard it would be to hack programming editor and make it run a simple .exe that puts your code in another location just after a successful download.
I might give it a go with VB. Make a backup of programming editor though.

demonicpicaxeguy

Wonder how hard it would be to hack programming editor and make it run a simple .exe that puts your code in another location just after a successful download.
i suggest that you simply take on the good practice approach, which is to simply backup your code every time you make any changes to it,
might i suggest you write a vb program that moniters a directory and backs it up everytime any of the files in it are chaged,

Pekari

Now we discuss about a files which are very small, so I save those many places.
An example: HDD, USB-stick, CD-disc, another PC in the another city.
Because any of these could be broken any time, they should not be in the same building, because that can destroy somehow too.
I do that to my PC programs also.
Programming editor setup is saved too so I can install it if I have to change PC.
In the cases at I use a picaxe-device place where I haven't a PC, I will print code to paper and circuit too, so I can compose them.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It's probably quite a lot of work to do that and I'm not convinced it would be possible to hack the Programming Editor itself to do the job. You could run a background application looking for the download successful pop-up but then you'd need to determine the filename to use ( which editing window source was it downloaded ? ), what to do when Debug or Terminal pops-up instead of Download Successful ( given that both can be invoked without downloading ).

Also, you've got to deal with source which hasn't been saved yet or edited but not saved.

The easiest mechanism is to put all your sources under a particular directory and have an application copy them to another place, manually executed or at a particular time every day. There are a number of already written and free programs to do that; check Google. Many of these will do some clever things, only copy changed files, only copy changes since last version, compact the files into Zip, automatically give version numbers and time stamp the file set.