Re-Purposing, PICAXE Project Boxes

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Poundland in the UK are currently selling a "ProDriver Dummy Alarm with Night Sensor" unit to stick on the dashboard to deter criminals - Yes, you guessed it; for a pound. From China, they can obviously be found elsewhere ...

http://i3.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/0f/01/36d4_1.JPG

Very nice box, plastic so easy to work with, about 75W x 80D x 23H, moulded in 3 x AAA battery compartment, three way slide switch, two red and two green super-bright LED's plus LDR. If you can live with the printed on logo (*) they're ideal IMO for sticking small PICAXE projects inside.

Four screws under the felt feet open the box. Watch out for the not necessarily as expected colour coding of + and - battery connections.

(*) Some washing up liquid, soft scouring pad and a lot of elbow grease and the logo can be erased. That takes off the dimpled sheen so best to do the entire counter-sunk area. Doesn't look too bad to me when done. YMMV.

Last edited:

InvaderZim

YMMV? In the UK? I assumed it would be "range" or, erm...kilometerage? Not mileage :p

Nifty box! Between Halloween and Christmas, I'm seeing a lot of neat widgets that are worth their price in just the parts.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
We're still sticking to Imperial units for some things in Dear Old Blighty; pints and miles in particular and there even seems to have been a resurgence of pounds and ounces in some supermarkets recently.