Rapid Picaxe sale

eclectic

I've just noticed,
until 12 noon BST today, Rapidonline
has massive reductions on Picaxe chips and other useful items.

e.

Serious question to Mods:
Is this advertising, if it's selling Picaxe chips?

Dippy

"Is this advertising, if it's selling Picaxe chips? "
- well , it IS advertising but I wouldn't have thought Rev-Ed minded shifting PICAXE chips and projects.
Anyway, I'm going to take advantage of it.... 3.5 hours to leaf through the catalogue.

And have you seen that cheap 10A/30V V/C controlled bench PSU? I know this is the second time I've mentioned it , and I don't know how good it is, but a current controlled PSU for PICAXE projecteers should be on the same shopping list as a multimeter.
I've forgotten the price... was it £70? Carriage free within UK.
(Yes, I know its not a Thurlby-Thandar etc but there are some times when having 10 Amps current capacity is handy. Especially when you've had to send solar panels back and you want to test something.)

manuka

-especially when you've had to send solar panels back-
Well the Forum Brains Trust DID say start small & learn the PV ropes before lashing out... Don't tell me these failures were the BP ones you waxed lyrical over ?

Dippy

Ummm.. yes. Just too dull and cloudy and there was a time limit on the return-without-charge (no 'charge' pun intended). Didn't have to pay carriage so only time wasted. Quite heavy aren't they.
I'll get some more when I've seen the weather forecast :)
Meanwhile my 'solar' charger is just a standard battery charger at the mo. Ah, well its been chuntering away for the last 4 weeks without probs so my code can't be that bad.
I really need an even bigger power supply to get it smoking. This determines the 'Absolute Maximum' ratings :)

And I also forgot to order from Rapid before the 12:00 deadline. Mugger! Too mixed up with Stein Hart.

manuka

Dippy: I strongly suggest (again) that you look at CIS/CIGS PV offerings, as their overcast performance is A1.

Dippy

Cheers Stan, I have been looking.
I can't find anywhere that does try-before-you-buy :)
.. and some prices for this "cheaper to make" technology were outrageous.

But, I have NOT dismissed it. It looks superior. It's down to quids per watts.
I haven't seen any research on long term. Your silicon stuff has been around for donkeys and is a known quantity. The only stuff I've seen on CIS/CIGS has been a 2 year survey and manufacturer's claims.

I will investigate further as I find this interesting... but I have been distracted by the difficulties of sourcing a flow-sensor* that can stand fernox - a parallel project on heating panels.

* At a reasonable price. I've seen some ideal ones for a nundred quid. No Ebay for me :)

manuka

Just do what I do & take along a DMM, SLA & dummy load (an ex. car headlamp bulb ) & quickly comparison test (in the outlet's car park etc) against your own standard PV. If they wont agree to this then take your custom elsewhere- I've never been refused such requests.

I certainly agree that CIS/CIGS technology is still being long term evaluated, but pressure cooker tests (even space) has been very satisfactory indeed- Google. IMHO this uncertainty is tolerable for small users -it's not as if you're rustling up a 10MW solar farm on Clapham Common! Well - maybe you are ?

Dippy

Funny you should say that.
I wouldn't leave expensive on Clapham Common. Not even the wife.
Oh, shes just walked in...