Radio Shack's USB to Serial connectors?

johndxmurphy

Radio shack is now selling USB to serial connectors. One is from Gigaware, another by Startech, and another by Cables to Go Port Authority. Will any of these work instead of the AXE027?

slimplynth

I'm all for the expression "variety is the spice of life" but unless I'd searched the archives on here, for a thread that came from either Technical or one of the moderators/senior members... confirming that an alternative did work. I wouldn't want to risk any unnecessary headaches, being boggled by a simple connection problem.

BeanieBots

Well said slimplynth.
This forum is riddled with "my PICAXE is duff" statements, only to find it was an incompatible USB cable.
The Rev-Ed version is reasonably priced and it DOES work.
Anything else is at your own risk.

mholguin

I'm using a regular, off the shelf USB to serial adapter, and it worked like a charmed. However I took a calculated risk when I tried.

You can try too, but don't blame it on the Picaxe in case it doesn't work...

Marino

BCJKiwi

As previously advised (more than once) it's the chipset used that is the key to functionality.
It must support the break signal.

FT323 and Prolific chipsets are the two that are known to work.

If the supplier can't tell you what the chipset is, or won't allow a return if it it doesn't work, then buy from elsewhere.

When installed (in XP) the serial port will usually show the chipset name (see attachment).

Attachments

manuka

Johndxmorphy- I put it to you that a service may well be on the menu here. Well- that's if they're not heavily encased. Simply take in your laptop & a "flashing LED" style PICAXE circuit &- gasp- TEST OUT THE ADAPTERS ON OFFER! RS should see the logic in this, as you'll be able to post results & thereby promote their wares.

Please take some closeup ID pix as well, as many adapters are just badge engineered. IMHO the Rev. Ed. offering (~US$20) has the best track record & "always works" however.

Attachments

slimplynth

Radio shack is now selling USB to serial connectors. One is from Gigaware, another by Startech, and another by Cables to Go Port Authority. Will any of these work instead of the AXE027?
Just checked Radioshack website

The Port Authority is $27.99
Gigaware - $34.99 (6ft cable - thats a good length)
Startech - $29.99

Non of the above mention Linux support but living in the UK its a no brainer for me: Axe027 = £11.74(guaranteed to work).

I can see there are likely to be good reasons for requiring the extra length offered by the Gigaware cable but if it was needed i'd be tempted to make a longer cable and fit a DB9 connector (probably bought from rev-ed as they were kind enough to provide the Picaxe system, it's brilliantly written manuals and excellent support forum for free)

Last edited:

Charliem

Sorry for butting in here,but I just had to add my 2 cents. I have a IOGEAR USB to Serial converter and I have no problems at all. I got it at Walmart for about 25.00 USD.

manuka

If you need more cable length simply use a normal (& dirt cheap) USB passive extension cable before the USB-serial adapter! USB specs. of course support 5m (~15').

BCJKiwi

It doesn't matter who you get it from, or what lable it has on the outside (or even where it was put together) - it all comes down to the chipset inside.

The sample shown in my earlier post above was for an inexpensive unit from DSE with made in china on the outside - no other branding BUT it has the PROLIFIC chipset inside!

If I go back to DSE today, they don't have the same part anymore.

You need to check what's inside when you buy it from wherever you buy it!

LizzieB

I have a cheap ebay one, ATEN chipset, and it works fine but YMMV, buyer beware, etc.

I'm sure the AXE027 works great with the picaxe, and is great for the absolute novice, but IMHO the downside is that it's not generally useful because doesn't have a DB9. I guess you could make a mini jack to db9 adaptor, but you still wouldn't have any control signals.

Mycroft2152

BB,

A little perspective here...

As long as you live in England, the Rev_Ed store is great first shoice and an excellent vendor. Shipping via the Royal Mail is quick and inexpensive. But for most of the global forum members getting PICAXE products is an expensive challenge. Shipping costs are outrageous and transit times can be very long.

The "official' local distributers carry a very limited selection of PICAXE products.

So it pays to be a little creative with sourcing some items.

I've bought a few 'el cheapo" USB to serial cables and have never had any problems.

Myc

eclectic

Another possible option for US Picaxers?

Johndx uses a PHAnderson board.

Look for this text:

“USB to Serial Adaptor with M - F USB - A extension cable. For PICAXE users who do not have a PC COM Port. With Driver CD for 98/2000/XP. I have tested with Windows XP. I don't know about Vista. Uses Prolific PL2303 chipset. This is only available to customers buying other items totaling at least $25.00. $8.95. “

about halfway down this page:

http://www.phanderson.com/picaxe/index.html

e.

johndxmurphy

RSB to serial

I checked out the radio shack web site and one of the three offerings ishas a Prolific PL2303 chip. I don't remember which one now, but I think it was startech.

inglewoodpete

BB's link was a tad interesting when I opened it. Sure, it was for the USB010 but the webpage went on to tell me that

"Customers who bought this product also bought.... PICAXE-28X chip.... and AXE026 serial download cable". Why would they buy the obsolete 28X and why would they buy the AXE026 with a USB010?

Methinks that Techstore's web server is not entirely honest!

Dippy

Yeah, but does it say they bought them all at the same time? ;) They might also have bought a pair of socks in 2003. Could be perfectly accurate... bur irrel.