Protech B160 servos in use with PICAXE 28X1 Servo upgrade

BotB

Hi, this is just a quick general question regarding the Protech B160 micro servos... http://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php?pid=PROBB160243&area=Servo

I've purchased some recently for some animatronics, they are aparrently rated for use between 4.5 v and 6 v but when I connect them to my set up they work fine but they heat up and start to "burn", I presume there is some issue but perhaps it's the refresh rate of the servos?

I know Futaba 3003's refresh at 20 ms or so... do you think these smaller servos refresh differently? hence why they seem to "burn" or create the burning smell anyway...

I have tried them through the PICAXE with the normal 4.5 v rail without the separate 6v supply but they still seem to create the burning smell and I can only assume that's bad for the servos...

alband

Can you just try them on some spare RC gear and seperate battery pack.
What power supply are you using for the PICAXE - 7805 or batteries?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
It sounds like you are trying to set the servos to a position beyond their limit. This will cause the motors to be permamently on, pushing against the end stop, and will eventually burn out the motor.

Try at position setting of 150, which should be half way. If this is ok then increment up until there is no more movement - this is then your upper limit point. Normally the limits are around 75 / 225 - but can vary considerably.

BotB

Can you just try them on some spare RC gear and seperate battery pack.
What power supply are you using for the PICAXE - 7805 or batteries?
I'm using the battery pack (4 AA batteries) I've tried them again with the setting proposed and they seem to work fine... The servos do not "struggle"... Infact I think I've made a fool of myself here... I believe the smell I'm getting is the plastic of the servo and not it overheating... I've got one plugged in now and it doesn't seem to be getting worse...

I guess it's because they are so new and out of the packet so the plastic smell must linger for a while...

alband

Don't entirely throw caution to the wind whatever it smells of.
Speaking of new smells, apple realy should release a new iPod scent, if your unsure go and check how your most reacent iPod box smells.

Last edited: