Project - Funky LED Coffee Table

andrew11

hey all,

I am planning a project with which I would use PICAXE microcontrollers and what not and I wanted to make sure it was possible since I am quite new to the world of microcontrollers...

The overall project is this...

a coffee table (fairly simple so far ey)
similar to the attached photograph, but without the centre piece of wood and the middle section is frosted glass.
beneath the glass is a whole bunch of LEDs (possibly over 100) i think ill be able to achieve such a high amount through something called chalieplexing or multiplexing. (again im quite new to this so i am unsure) and also a large amout of sensors. not sure what kind, looking to be LDRs at the moment.
when you say touch the surface of the table there is a ripple effect generated from the your hand.
and the rest of the time there would be funky ambience. im also thinking of including a feature that when you put down a glass coaster, rimmed with metal the table senses the metal and realises there is a coaster on the table and plays funky lights up through your glass.

yes i am aware this is quite a large and probably very difficult project for a novice but i have alot of time and are willing and wanting to learn :)

if you could offer your opinions and/or suggestions that would be much appreciated.

cheers

Attachments

andrew11

Yer I had a look at a few of them but myproject is for a symester long subject at school called personal project and although the use of kits a such isnt prohibeted I would really like to do this pretty much from scratch. and the ripple effect seen in the interactive LED panel is kind of what I want to achieve but I want to create a more cirular motion. as i dont like how they have a had about half of each panel evenly spread and just cycled through them.

SilentScreamer

Nice project though don't forget the current limits of each chip - http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11963

If you want circular motion why not just have each circle of LEDs connected to one pin (via a transistor of course)? It is then fairly simple, it will probably be easier to use one of the new X2s with every pin set as an output then very little multiplexing will be needed if any.

Mycroft2152

Yer I had a look at a few of them but myproject is for a symester long subject at school called personal project and although the use of kits a such isnt prohibeted I would really like to do this pretty much from scratch. and the ripple effect seen in the interactive LED panel is kind of what I want to achieve but I want to create a more cirular motion. as i dont like how they have a had about half of each panel evenly spread and just cycled through them.
My suggestion wasn't to buy the kit, thats no fun. But rather use its design as a guide for making your own. There are some excellent design tricks in both.

Mycroft2152

I'd like to know where he is getting the money for the LEDs alone. Even at 10 cents each, that $35,000 US.

Next thing is that he will want to do it with a single PICAXE